Sign in to follow this  
Jetstar2

Two Questions with FU3

Hi, I recently got FU3 reinstalled and running after a brief hiatus. I have two questions for guys: 1) Is there a way to turn off the intro sound when FU3 is first started? That flyby noise gets kind of old after awhile. 2) Is there a way to remove some of the downtown Seattle buildings or convert them to lower poly objects to conserve frame rates? Robert Williamson

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In answer to your questions. I still use FUIII but not recently. It is still a magic sim.1. Methinks I remember finding the file LGVID.AX and renaming it to OLDLGVID.AX does something.2. I think you will find a buildings density setting in the options folder. If you move that about you will get more or less but not sure how you can make it selective if that is what you are after.

Robert,Here is some stuff you can put into your flt3.cfg:no_brakes_message no_engine_message mouse_vanish 3extra_airports nomovie no_taxi_lines sky_RainOpticalDepthHW 2000sky_SnowOpticalDepthHW 2000Obviously only one of those lines is needed to turn off the movie. You may want to to play with the others to your tastes. The rain & snow ones (courtesy of Gideon) you can play with the numbers to get it the way you like it... those numbers I use... it allows me to fly in the rain with realistic visibility... like in the real thing. I am a native of the FU3 primary scenery area... but do not live there now... dern it! ;-)Like Mr. Evans said you can adjust building density in options. But I have to ask what your system specs are. With my old system at 933mhz I could use FU3 with all the sliders to the right... with my current 2.8ghz monster I never see a hint of slowdown. Of course when FU3 first came out I had just upgraded from 166mhz to 500mhz (to be way ahead of the requirements of FU3) and found the need to make some compromises. :-)Don't hesitate to toss out any more questions... we have no lack of experts here... in our own minds anyway. :-lol

Hey, thanks a lot for the replies! My system specs are: Pentium Gigger 512 SDRAM GeForce 2 GTS 64MB Directx 9 Win XP Pro It seems that the Seattle area is the only real problem I'm having. I would love to be able to reduce only the downtown area and not the rest of the airports. And the intro sound, I am referring to is the engine start sound when you first see the main menu. I am not getting the intro movie even without nomovie in the .cfg file (which is fine) Robert Williamson

Make the following change in the config file:no_splash language engwhere it used to read:;no_splashlanguage engThis gets rid of the opening jet sound, which I also found very annoying.Hope this is what you were referring to,Dan

Is that what "no splash" is for? I thought it was something to do with seaplanes ...

A long time ago, I came acros that jet sound in a res file sumwhere, so I tookthe opertunaty to swop it for the sound of birds cherping, and it was grate, but after a while I got no sound at all, and I thort the bird sound I used wastoo high quwalaty for FU3 to handl.But now I know what that "no splas" line dus, I got my bird song back.thanks Dan.glidernut.:-wave

No problem...so many have given so much to this flight sim. There is so much I really owe...Dan