Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stearman

Off-Topic: You won't believe this... (long!!)

Sorry for the off-topic, but I just thought you might find this interesting, when not unbelievable.On June 2nd, Avsim's news page informed about a just released "Moscow Global Scenery" for FS2002, from a Russian company called "Simulation Software Workshop" (www.simsoftworkshop.com). Later, on July 30th, another piece of news informed about an update for the same scenery. Well, I've always been interested in a good scenery for Moscow, and at US$18.95, it didn't look bad, so I went for it.What is unbelievable from this story is the buying procedure. First of all, I sent my c/c details as usual, and all I got in response was an e-mail with a printable receipt. No download link, no instructions, nothing.Looking into their website I found a "Registered Users" area, where you had to provide your name, e-mail address and a password of your choice, but when I tried to log-in, I got this answer: "You're not in our database", so I e-mailed them for assistance. That was on a Thursday evening.The next day (Friday) I got a reply telling me I was included in their database, so there I went and, indeed, I managed to log-in and download the software. BUT (oh, surprise), it wouldn't self-extract because a serial number was needed.Of course the serial number wasn't anywhere in the receipt or the Registered Users area, so I had to e-mail them again for it. That was on Friday evening and, of course, I had to wait until Monday for a reply. In other words, I had to wait for 4 days to install a product I had already paid for.Not all the surprises were over, though. The self-extracting software is not zipped, it rather relys on Windows Installer, so it installs itself, self-registers in Windows and even creates a menu entry with a link to a pdf document. One would expect such a "rounded-off" product to self-activate in FS2002, wouldn't one? Well, it didn't. I had to go there and manually include it in the scenery library.If you've read this history so far, I hope you'll agree that's not exactly an up-to-date procedure...Oh, almost forgot, if you're curious about the scenery itself, I'd say it's somewhere between nice and great (the best Moscow scenery I've seen so far, in fact), so I really hope these guys eventually find a more convenient buying procedure or I'm afraid they're doomed to failure.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44053.jpgThanks for reading,best regards.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Daniel,Off topic but interesting. Thanks for posting it here. But I hope you also posted it in the FS general forum... it becomes important info there.