Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Challenge question for Steffen

Steffen (and anyone else that may know),I really want to get this DHC-6 engine sound challenge thingy working properly. I notice if you attach sounds to models, they loop continuously but if attached to aircraft they don't. I know you played with the 'waiting loop' function but it's way too unpredictable as it is (in the DC3 challenge). Is there a way of just forcing complete loops? I could not set the loop accurately enough to prevent sounds overlapping or 'gapping'. I even tried different sample lengths (i.e. exactly 3000ms) but it made no difference.Is there a way to have the config so it only plays each sample once, then immediately reads the throttle setting again and plays immediately? I always seem to get gaps (or thunderous buildups of overlapping samples). I would like to sort this as, notwithstanding the gaps or overlaps, I can get a great turboprop hum going (which would allow me to remove the hum from the main engine samples and get a better overall effect).Or am I simply hitting my head against a brick wall?:-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jon,to me it looks like you are hitting your head against the wall - there is no documented way of looping a sound with the challenge scripting language. And i didn't find a workaround for that, either. All I could do was the function in the DC3 and B747 challenge which has the disadvantages of having gaps or playing sounds more than once. However, if you find a suitable sound, the overlapping might not be heared? At least, that's how it looks (sorry: hears) like on my computer.The other limitation is that of the waiting time: You could set it to exact seconds (i.e. 1.32) at challenge start, but if yo try to assign values dynamically from within the challenge (in order to be able to let the user modify the waiting time), you'll have to use "whole" numbers (i.e. no decimal points), because of a scripting language bug. Bummer.A solution might be to find a way to start an external sound player (or to write an external programm that does nothing but play sounds and read data from a FU3 communications .txt file). A challenge could be told to write the throttle data (and whatever) to a file. The sound program plays the sound, stops it when reading certain information given by the challenge, and so on. If we can find someone who knows how to program such a thing, I should be able to give him the required tasks/specifications for that thing.Hope this helps,Blue Skies, Steffen

Steffen,Thanks, I'll peel my forehead away from the plaster...I'm glad that 'it wasn't just me' ;) I agree that some sort of external 'player' would do it however I wouldn't know where to start with that. 3D models, textures and sounds are one thing (well, 3 actually...) but writing code is an entirely different learning curve.It's a pity that we cannot use FU3's inbuilt 'player' as it seems to allow almost unlimited numbers of samples to be played at once - even with different sample rates (have a good listen from the ramp at CVA for example). I have seen 'script' within flight models, allocating sounds to different functions (alarms in the Beechjet) but alas, my feeble attempts to duplicate them failed in the Dash-8 so I gave up.It's another case of not knowing the 'code' I guess :-(Thanks :-wave******************* Jonathan Point *******************