Sign in to follow this  
Guest musikai

Player and cloud shadows

Guest musikai

I read about the 2 commands:1. EnablePlayerShadow2. enable_cloud_shadowsthat you can have the first one with an Nvidia- and second one with an Ati-graphics-card.Since I have an Nvidia-card, does anybody of you get the cloud shadows?I really would like to see how it looks like!Please screenshots here: ;-)

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't use player shadow since it looks weird when taxiing.

Guest R_Driscoll

Can't help with that musikai. Check with Wendy.(You know Wendy? The one who reattached Peter Pan's shadow?)I think I need a holiday ...

Guest effyouthree

Folks,I use both, even though (as Rob says) that the aircraft shadow often shimmers. I love watching the shadow of my Blanik racing across a hillside, or 'racing' my DHC6 shadow to touchdown when landing east in the afternoon. Sure, on the ground they can flicker and muck-up but they're worth it when off the ground ;)BTW, the actual shadow comes from the lowest-res 3D model in the resfile. The shimmer comes from being set at 'ground level', something that rarely is (level...). It should be possible to create that model 'floating' (i.e. a 'flat' model with an extension to ground, set to the height of the top of the main 3D model), which should reduce the shimmer. You will still have issues when the shadow crosses another ground model (i.e. runway) as, for some reason, the shadow often remains 'off' until the center of the shadow crosses a model border. Either way I don't care, for the reasons I gave above ;)The cloud shadows are only noticeable from a few thousand feet but look remarkable at higher altitudes (IMHO). Sometimes, they're hard to see because the whole area is in shadow.:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest musikai

Yes, I have the plane shadow toggled on too. The shimmers only show up now and then.Do you use a voodoo-card? Can you give an example of the cloud shadows?

Guest effyouthree

No, I use an Nvidia FX.I can do some shots and post them.:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest musikai

Yes, please post some screenshots because I also have an NvidiaFx but can't see any differences with or without the shadows enabled.