Sign in to follow this  

AI Aircraft

Like many of you, I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find frame-rate friendly AI aircraft for FS2002. For those that are interested, I thought that I might share some findings. Maybe it will spur some feedback from those experienced FS2002 developers.When the fantastic work of the Project AI group is released, then much of this issue will probably be solved. But until then, here are some personal observations.As most people know, the number of polygons in an aircraft file, generally determines frame-rate efficiency (with the exclusion of texture issues and video RAM). I have always been a little suspicious of the statement

An observation on my 1.2 machine with 512 and 32 meg video card with fps locked at 16. A naked and skinned AI aircaft display the same fps.AI aircraft textures are not a factor in fps or smoothness for me.Your mileage may differ. If it does, lower the fps max to 20 or below. A real control loop on something with this much mass and inertia doesn't need to run at 50 hertz (fps) for control.Good luck.It is the mdl file/polygon count as Allen has stated.