Sign in to follow this  
Guest markyc

Fooling the system

Guest markyc

I've been wondering whether or not it would be possible to trick the training program within FU3 to use aircraft other than the default models. I assume (Probably wrongly) that some where within a 'Res' file there is a line which tells the program what it is. If this is the case, then presumably I could get my favourite C-172 to masquerade as the default trainer, by simply renaming it 'Trainer'using 'ResViewer'. Or am I deluding myself in thinking this would be a simple task?Mark:)

Guest glidernut

Yes Mark, it is posibl, and you dont evan hav to use 'ResViewer'.Look in REGIONS/SEATTLE/lessons, and finde the right lesson, the editabl line your looking for in in the script.txt.Dont remoov the " " ither side of the aircraft name.glidernut.

Guest markyc

Thanks Glidernut,your advice has helped me to get a few things straight in my head.As it happens I had already tried to edit the 'script' file, but with no success. What I hadn't realised was that the 'script' file only effects the 'practice' aircraft. The instruction movie aircraft remains the same (Sounds like a Led Zeppelin record/sound track:-ukliam ) If however I rename the stock trainer 'Old Trainer', and call the C-172 of my choice 'Trainer', I can now watch the instruction movie including the Plane that I will (attempt to) fly afterward.Assuming you are with me so far, I bet you can guess what's coming next. Is there any way that the .bbx file in the lesson file can be edited? If this is not possible it isn't a huge problem, because unlike most other sims, this one seems to pick up the aircraft and give them their correct name in the aircraft menu, regardless of what you call them in the 'plnpile' folder. I would imagine as long as the names of all the 'stock' aircraft are in the 'plnpile' folder I shouldn't run into any problems.Mark:)

Guest fu3

Funniest thing I ever did was run the 'engine failure' bbx file, with all the default aircraft removed!The Windhawk was replaced by the 747SP :-eek Shoulda seen the dirt strip landing :-erks The BBX must lock-in the aircraft CoG because the 'SP landed like it had no gear - the sound of tearing metal was amazing. MORE amazing was how she pulled-up in <2000ft :-roll NOT pretty...BTW, there are 26 places in the refile that carry the name of the aircraft - the 'name' file (usually the first file with a '+' in Resviewer) and the ATC name file (file 1 in Resviewer). The ATC name file only affects what appears on the screen during ATC chatter. Then there are the 6 ATC voice files and the 18 pilot voice files - phew!So, to rename an aircraft, one must also be a whizz at chopping-up and pasting wav files. Ever tried to get 'Northwest Saab 340' out of the existing voices? :-lol

Guest markyc

I don't think I'm quite THAT desperate to change the aircraft name. Perhaps in a hundred years time when I'm dead I'll be more able to attempt such things:-lol Mark:)