Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

C421 Golden Eagle VC comparing to Archer/Cheyenne

I like it!!I'm a virtual cockpit "nut" & even fanatical sometimes! :) Hearing that the Flight One Cessna 421 was released, I wanted one! Then I heard reports ranging from an excellent virtual cockpit to other reports mentioning somewhat "fuzzy" gauges. Running on a 22" monitor in 1600*1200*32 resolution, defects seem to show up more than what you'll see on a 17" screen..... so I was a bit skeptical about the purchase.While now that I've bought this bird, I rank the virtual panel clarity nearly up there with the Dreemfleet Archer which is one of the best GA virtual panels I've run into. The gauges are a slight "tich" on the un-focused side, but still easily readable. Not near the problem I expected! The effect of the gauge placement on the panel surface is done very well & looks far more pleasing than the "grainy" effect of the FSD Cheyenne's VC panel. It IS a virtual panel that I'm sure I'll prefer over the 2D in much of my flights!!However, out of these three aircraft, I DO rate the FSD Cheyenne's panel as the best of the bunch for night time flight with it's backlit gauges that are "stunning", so to speak! The C421 & Archer rely on "dome" lights for the night flying VC effect.As to the rest of the C421 with my limited flight experience with it........., it's friendly to frame rates, has excellent handling qualities, & looks great from the exterior views. The rest of the VC cockpit is right up there with the best also!All in all, it's worth it!!L.AdamsonAthlon 1900XPGeforce3Ti500512DDRram22" Viewsonic monitor, 1600*1200*32 resolutionVC gauges set to high

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

do us a favor and post some comparison screen shots - unedited etc. I would be gratefulColin

I will agree the VC in general (all around) is very good. The side and periperhal views are the best Ive seen. I am running a 21 inch monintor at 1600x1200 which is very close to yours. The Cheyenne and the Archer gauges have excellent clarity but IMO the Cheyenne stands out as being a little crisper. I am just disappointed with the gauge clarity in the Eagle. I even tried different res's and even disconnected the FSAA but still no improvement. Im certainly enjoying the other fantastic attributes of this aircraft. I know choices were made and tradeoffs were evaluted as with any development effort. It just so happens one of the tradeoffs happened to affect an area which I am very critical of. I put in a couple of hours on a flight from Seattle to Vancouver and really enjoyed the GPS. What a beautiful job on this piece of equipment! A real Gem in the air and on the ground. I really hope the dev team will consider a small improvement in VC gauge clarity.RegardsBobG

RogerJust finished trying this from another Post. What a huge difference. Im happy again ! Still a little blurring on a couple of gauges but a tremendous improvement. Im lovin it now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RegardsBobG

Same airport setting. Panel or dome lights are on. Otherwise VC cockpits tend to be too shaded, depending on orintation to the sun.My own preference is to move my viewing point slightly farther back than these pics, but then the reduced instruments won't show. Ctrl enter, & shift + or - to get some more of the cockpit in view. With a 22" monitor, the instruments are still easy to read.L.Adamson

After this VCpanel cfg. change, I also get very sharp guages with no noticeable fps hit on my machine (unless it's 1/2 fps, or so). The only unreadable VC gauge now is an Insight (????) gauge about 2/3rds to the right top of the panel and is not included with the 2D panel. It's probably a weather gauge or something & doesn't really work anyway!L.Adamson