Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD Sim

Need help, FS2K2 locking up

Hey Guys,This problem has been occuring since my old video card was in my machine (voodoo3 2000 PCI). So I purchased a new GF3 TI 200 64MB, and the problem continued. So I formated, bought XP, and started from scratch. Problem continues. I am able to use flight sim for roughly 3-10mins before it locks up. And when I mean locks up, I mean, I am unable to ctrl-alt-del to end the program, and I am also unable to move my cursor. The current sound that was playing prior to, and right before the lockup is quickly repeated over and over in my headphones. So im having a complete system lock up, and my HDD light is not lit. Only way to get out of FS2K2 is to just restart. Here are my specs1.2ghz AMD Tbird256 SDRAMPrimary HDD - 15gb MAXTOR 7200rpm (FS2K2 and XP installed on this drive)Secondary HDD - 10gb WD 6400rpm (backup files, and other games)GF 3 TI 200 w/ the 2.8.3.2 drivers (most recent)Im running FS2K2 Professional BTWI have been unable to locate any of the older drivers incase those will perform better.Also running whatever DirectX XP has on it (I believe 8.1)Any suggestions are greatly appreciated Thank You,Josh

Sounds like you have a hardware problem of some sort.My guess is proboly the cpu or maybe even bad ram.Does this problem only occur with FS2002 ?.Also make sure you have the lastest 4 n 1 drivers from VIA at www.viahardware.com.What I personally would do is a low level format with FDISK.Erase the old partion and recreate, "then format" and reinstall xp.If the same problem happens then I might start to look at hardware as the problem.I can only guess since I do not have your machine in front of me so I hope I have helped alittle :) FDISK REFORMATINSTALL XP INSTALL ALLLLLLLLL THE UPDATESINSTALL 4n1 drivers from via (agp in turbo Xp does not do that by default to my knowledge)INSTALL FS2002 fly with just the default setup at first see if that works Good LuckRichard Dillon KATLSr First Officer www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team____________________________"Lets Roll" 9/11 Specs AMD 1600 XP 512MB DDR GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 SP2

Guest SD Sim

Hi Josh,Sounds to me like you have a case of CPU overheating :-newburn. The next time you crash, quickly reboot and look in your BIOS. What temp is your CPU running at? I suspect it will be pretty high. The better method of monitoring is to follow the temp while the CPU is running MSFS. I do this using ASUS Probe, but I know there is freeware out there that will do this as well. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the software. Sniff around in the archived threads and you should find the name/URL links you need. The solution to your problem, I suspect, is pretty simple. First, check the air inlet and outlets on you case and make sure they're not blocked. Also make sure your not covering the air inlet port. Most cases draw air through the front, but the inlet port sometimes is at the bottom of the case. Put the case on your carpet and your suffocating your computer. If airflow looks unimpeded, are all the fans still operating? If everything still looks OK, and your CPU temp is reasonable (~55C under load) then I think your problem lies elsewhere. If everything looks to be operating fine, but your CPU is very hot (~65C under load), then you might want to consider buying a better fan (~$15 US will get you a 7500 rpm Volcano 6+).Good luck! I hope you are able to fix the problem :-wave