Sign in to follow this  
Guest lou ross

Transition Altitude/altimeter setting and Approach Vectors

Guest lou ross

1)I've set the transition altitude to 18,000 msl, so above that altimeter to 29.92. However, ATC keeps giving me the altimeter such as 30.11 and I need to get on altitude. So when I change to ATC's setting, I get no complaints. 2) This is typical on approach: heading 080 degrees. "Descend to 8 thousand and leaving 10 thousand fly heading 310." I begin the desent to 8 thou, and several minutes later I get this sarcastic remark that I'm supposed to be heading 310, but I'm coming thru 17 or 16 thou, again, the clearance being turn "leaving 10 thou." This has happened several times. So last night, I descended 2 or 3 thousand feet, began the turn, and got yelled at because I wasn't at 080 degrees. ibelieve I have the current RC upgrades. Am I missing something? lr.

Guest Scott Campbell

Lou,1) TL (Transition LEVEL) is in FLIGHT LEVEL (FL), so you need to set transition level to 180, not 18000. 18000 is FL18000 or 1800000 feet, or a fifth the way to the moon.2) RC does not have "When descending through x thousand, fly heading y." It has "Descend to x feet, fly heading y degrees." On departure, Tower may give you "Fly heading x. Leaving y feet, fly heading z."

Guest lou ross

Wellp, I guess I feel pretty foolish. I owe you a beer. Thanks for the quick response. I'll crawl back into my hole now. Thanks, lr.

Guest mmcevilley

>2) RC does not have "When descending through x thousand, fly>heading y." It has "Descend to x feet, fly heading y>degrees." On departure, Tower may give you "Fly heading x.>Leaving y feet, fly heading z.">RC does have "Fly heading y until x thousand, then resume own navigation." You will get this if too high so as to not hit that magical "30 miles or less" mark @ x thousand. ;-)-michael

Guest Scott Campbell

Michael,Yes, when you miss your crossing restriction, that's true. I meant as a general instruction.Of course I've been out of touch for a while and there may be something new, but there are no new wavs made (and those I know).