Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agrajag

First use problem

Guys, just got this installed and up-to-speed.I have the manual open and things aren't matching. The manual starts off saying the screen will look like this: 62m/55*/112001 WxBrf on 127752 CLR by CD on 12520Main-0So that's what I thought I'd see but instead I got this:<1> 3m/260*/0 <2> 5m/305* 1- xBf 1330 2- LR by CD n 11Huh? I hit "1", got double talk so I went back and turn off MS ATC and now nothing is working. The same menu is there but no keys are doing anything.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It looks like you need to turn on Adv Display.In FS2004 click on Modules then Adv Display. A check mark should appear next to it. Adv Display should become visible in the top left corner of your screen. Move and size it to your likeing.

Ah, you mean the greenish bar that I can resize and dock ISN'T it?Interesting!

The green bar is FLight Sims internal display mechanism. That is not Adv Display. You can get rid of it by right clicking on it and choose close.You need to turn on Adv Display. In FS2004 please click on the Modules menu item. One of the selections will be Adv Display. Please click on it. A check mark should appear next to it and Adv Display should appear in the top left corner of your screen.

Thanks Rick. There's a lot to digest here but it's getting done. A couple of points:1) After getting told to hold short of the runway from Ground and to contact the tower when there, I inadvertantly hit the key to respond and contact. That seems to have ruined the entire process as even though 5 planes were ahead of me, I got approval to taxi into position and hold and then to depart.2) After fixing the above, I took off from KPHL, got passed to departure who said to leave FL3000 and c/m FL9000. I got up there and kept going via runway heading. 12 miles out I'm still not getting passed to anyone. I tried another flight and after getting airborne and passed to departure, I joined my flightplan. I'm now 30 miles out and all I've heard from ATC is one altimeter update. Still working with departure. What is the correct procedure? As an update I JUST got passed to Washington Center more than 40 miles out. But at least it has happened. I LOVE that I got denied for a request to go higher. And if it's not a big deal, what are the coords listed in <1>, <2> format? Waypoints? I know I saw that in the manual but don't recall now what it was.(UPDATE after first flight)I just flew a route from KPHL to KJFK and it was generally a positive experience with a few exceptions.First, it seems to me that Radar Contact and AI solutions like MyTraffic are currently not the best of sandbox playmates. The first problem was the one noted above regarding ATC just giving me the okay to taxi onto the runway when I was 5th. That resulted in an Air Portugal flight taxiing in right on top of me sending me back to the gate.Second, I came into JFK on 31L while a Delta flight was on 31R. APP gave me 3 consecutive warnings about the parallel plane, all in quick succession.Third, upon being cleared to land it was clear that Radar Contact really has no control of the aircraft on the ground. I was cleared as one jumbo was rolling down the runway for takeoff and another jumbo rolled right into position as I came in. He beat me down the runway just in time and I did get a go around directive. However, I got 4 of them in a row as aircraft just kept rolling onto 31L. I finally just forced my way down an APP handed me over to ground.If I were not flying with AI, Radar Contact would be a fantastic add-on. My only qualm with it this early outside AI issues is the somewhat slow cadence and word pasting that isn't all that clean but that's minor given what it is able to pull off. As I am flying with AI, I'll have to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if this is the way it'll be until at least 4.0. I'm glad I bought it and will be recommending it but as noted, after my first flight (and several restarts), it's a mixed bag so far.

Have you installed the RCv3.1 upgrade? See details here http://www.jdtllc.com/faqs.htm if you have not.Radar Contact can not control the AI aircraft. It sounds like that is what your expecting to see. If you listen to FS ATC along with RC ATC you are actually listening to two different controllers. There is a section in the manual beginning on page 107 which teaches you how to use FS ATC and RC ATC together. It takes practice but you can learn to use them both together.You asked what is the correct procedure? Have you read over the Quick Start Guide in the RCv3 manual beginning on page 15. We tried to give you a step by step procedure to get you in the air.The format of each line is as follows:62m/55*/1200062m = number of miles to the next checkpoint55* = the heading you should be flying12000 = the radio frequency you should be tuned to.Radar Contact is a complex program and takes time to learn. It sounds like you have a good grasp of it so far.JD is working on more AI control for version 4. Until Microsoft releases more information about the AI in the SDK's there is only so much he can do.

>Have you installed the RCv3.1 upgrade?Yep. Took a while but it all appeared to work.As far as listening to both controllers, that wouldn't be very appealing to me. Not a big deal but just not for me. As far as complexity, yes it is complex but does seem to be quite worth it. I would and will recommend Radar Contact for others. I just don't believe it will fully win me over until at least 4.0 (Hopefully this year) but maybe even later. If MS ever makes it possible to fully control AI aircraft and RC decides to support that, I suspect that's when I'd be fully engaged.