Sign in to follow this  

RIP Voodoo 5

I've been struggling with blurry aircraft, terrain and VC textures, as well as problems with opening docked windows and the framerate plummetting to 1 fps...so after nearly two years I'm laying my Voodoo 5 5500 AGP to rest.I've found a GF3 Ti500 for the very reasonable price of

Guest JonP01

Hi Nick,I followed the same upgrade path about three months ago and these are my observations.1. Don't bother with Anti-aliasing on the Geforce. It really isn't nearly as good as with the Voodoo and you will suffer much more performance penalty than you would have with the Voodoo (that is the only bad point of your upgrade though).2. You can push the resolution up right to whatever the limit is that your monitor can handle whilst maintaining a decent refresh rate (imo, no less than 72hz or 75hz). You will hardly see a frame rate hit at all by increasing the resolution to maximum available within your monitor performance envelope.3. You can run 32 bit colour with barely any performance hit.4. You should be able to push all the texture related sliders all the way to the right, again with barely any noticeable performance hit.5. Clouds will now work properly and again, not nearly as much frame rate hit as with the Voodoo.6. Enable anisotropic filtering on the Geforce. You need to edit the registry to do this or alternatively use one of the Geforce tweaking utilities. For best results, also enable trilinear filtering in the FS2002 GUI.7. Personally, I also prefer to use the digital vibrance feature on the Geforce 3 which basically increases the colour saturation. Again, much better image quality in FS2002.8. I actually prefer the Geforce 3 results if I set image quality in the Nvidia Control Panel applet to "high image quality" rather than "best image quality". So you might want to try both before making a final decision.Subjectively in comparison with the Voodoo 5500, you will notice better colour rendering, much sharper detail, better clouds and far less "blurries", whilst still maintaining or surpassing the good frame rates you got with the Voodoo.In terms of drivers, I feel the 29.41 / 29.42 driver do work the best, although with FS2002, earlier versions still still work (ie 27.42). I wouldn't recommend earlier versions such as 21.xx and some of the 23.xx. When I used these on a Geforce 3 Ti, I got aircraft texture corruption in spot view. No such problems with the 29.42.Lastly, you might initially notice some runway / taxiway texture "bleed-through" problems with your Geforce. That is, you might for example see the grass appear through the surface of the runway. Currently, there is a work-around for this, as noted earlier by cwright in these forums. Before you actually start flying, uncheck the Transform and Lighting checkbox from the settings sub-menu and then go back into your cockpit view in the sim. Then go back into settings and re-enable Transform and Lighting. This will cure the problem for the rest of the FS2002 session.

Guest Sabadin

I went from a V5 to a GF3Ti200. Dont even bother with FSAA, unless you set it to 4x it doesnt really do anything. I'm not what kind of processor you have. If its fast dont expect to noticable of a performance increase except in very high polygon areas or heavy cloud cover. I use the 28.90 drivers as they look good and run fast. All the 29.xx series are optimizied for GF4 so I'm not sure what kind of gains you may get from them. All in all, if your old V5 was setup properly the sim will look about the same, but those ugly blurries won't show as often and it will run smoother.

MateDabs.com will do you a GeForce4 Ti 4200 for