Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Alpha Channel - Reflective textures??

I'm currently making some new ground textures for EGKK Gary Summons scenery, and i heard that by using the "Image tool" that came with FS, i can make these textures reflective by using something known as the Alpha Channel.Can someone please tell me how to convert a normal BMP saved in 32bit to a file using the Alpha Channel. What procedure do i need to take?CheersWill

Ive been trying to figure that out myself! Maybe some one here will share his or hers expertness on that subject??Ed:-zhelp

Looks like i'm not the only one then :-)Here's a pic of my NEW work ie. the apron. My old work is the textures around the parking bays.I was wondering what this texture would look like with the reflection of the a/c in it?Any comments welcomeWill

The alpha channel will create reflective textures on a model with reflections enabled, such as the default aircraft and many Gmax addon aircraft. If reflections are not enabled, the alpha channel will create a transparent texture. For a ground texture to be reflective, you will have to make a scenery area with Gmax.I believe a Targa image (.tga) is a 32 bit image which retains the alpha channel. I've never worked with .tga's so don't quote me on that. :)Rather than using Imagetool, I recommend a utility by Martin Wright called DXTBmp. I find it much easier to use than Imagetool. One benefit is that it allows you to separate the image and the alpha channel and work on them separately. It can be found at MW Graphics. One more thing about reflections: I don't believe they are actually reflections -- merely a color map that displays random patterns, simulating a reflection. While very convincing on rounded fuselages, engines and spinners, I don't think you'll see the aircraft reflected on a flat surface.

Guest PaulL01

>Looks like i'm not the only one then :-) >>Here's a pic of my NEW work ie. the apron. My old work is >the textures around the parking bays. >>I was wondering what this texture would look like with the >reflection of the a/c in it? >>Any comments welcome >>Will Guys,Reflective textures in FS2k2 are not a real refection of the suroundings, the reflection uses a environment.bmp that is a faux reflection that uses a pointer variable so that the bright side is always up and the "ground" "reflection is always on the bottom as you rotate your AC, try flying close over the ocean and ntice that the "ground" reflection is not water.Also the feflective textures only work on objects that were created in G-Max that have the reflective.bmp environment enabled in its design, this will not work on large ground polys and if it did you would not like the results.If you want to learn more, post the question in the scenery design forum.Take Care,Paul