Sign in to follow this  
Guest BMarcoux

Trimming, what is the best way

I mainly fly the PSS777, DF737 and PIC767. I always try hand flying an approach but I find it very difficult to trim the aircraft to follow the Glide Slope. I think it will be much easier if some kind of wheel is available to control the trim. I wish to know how everybody else is doing this. I use the Microsoft Sidewinder and assign two buttons for trim up and trim down but I find it very ackward to use. I know that with some smaller planes I can use the mouse Thumbwheel but it seems that this will not work with other aircarfts.Any ideas are very much appreciated.Tony

Guest Ron Freimuth

>I mainly fly the PSS777, DF737 and PIC767. I always try hand >flying an approach but I find it very difficult to trim the >aircraft to follow the Glide Slope. I think it will be much >easier if some kind of wheel is available to control the >trim. I wish to know how everybody else is doing this. I use >the Microsoft Sidewinder and assign two buttons for trim up >and trim down but I find it very ackward to use. I>Tony The Falcon 20 uses buttons on the Yoke for trimming. Only you can hear a click on each increment, so you don't have to watch the trim gauge. Turns out the time it takes to go over the full pitch trim range with my Sidewinder buttons is close to what a B727 takes. Of course, the trim moment has to be appropriate for this full trim range.Ron

I am using the CH USB Yoke and have had very good results using their "rocker switch". I tknow in control settings there is a box to enable repeat usage (not sure how to phrase it) where you can hold the rocker down and the trim continues to "run" instead of stabbing at the button.In the real world we have a "split switch" on the yoke horn that we use to run the trim. During configuration and speed changes on approach you will hear the "rattle" a lot as the plane is retrimmed. The rattle is added to alert the crew that the trim is moving, in case it runs away (a bad thing).The down side is the lack of true feedback (OK, I have never used the "force-feedback" stick) that you can feel the load lighten on the yoke.Timothy

Guest BMarcoux

Tony,Goflight makes a very nice trim wheel and landing gear module. Link is below. Go to the products page. I have about everything they sell and it makes a world of difference.Bradhttp://www.goflightinc.com/index.html