Sign in to follow this  

Flip Cards

There seems to be somewhat of a void in the manual as far as the flip cards are concerned, for example does anyone know what the upper lefthand box represents? Clean maneuvering speed...what's that?Also...given an aircraft weight of 209,000 the flap speeds on landing show red numbers which would seem to indicate some sort of problem,yet this is no where near the max allowable weight... Vernon

VernonDon't know for sure what the Overweight limits are for PMDG but the Fleet I work has a Max Landing Weight of 198,000. Since there is no Fuel Dump sytem on board they had to make numbers for an Overweight Landing Condition. I believe Manuevering Speed is a speed used when flying through turbulence but don't quote me on it. By the way, If you do land at 209,000, your likely to tick off your mechanic something fierce as the Overweight Landing Inspection will cut into his/her Pub Time :-)RegardsPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Vernon,a maneuvering speed (or Va) is the max speed at which abrupt or full travel of the flight controls is allowed.(that is why in mayn aircraft turbulent air penitration speed is also a clean Va) rapid full travel of controls surfaces above that speed MAY result in damage or failure of that control surface. a "clean maneuvering speed" is the Va for that aircraft in the clean configuration.hope that helpsThomas

Paul...The surprising thing to me is that as far as I can determine the default weight of the aircraft which comes up when you access the FMC is 207. (207,000lbs)Perhaps I am wrong, I often am, but then I went into the weight tables in the manual and there was nothing unusual about this, working only from memory, the aircraft can safely support much more than that.I just think that it would have been a good idea if a paragraph had been devoted to this in the manual, and the upper left egment...well, it must be important or why have it there at all.... Vernon

Vernon,You are correct, the default weight is 207,000 which is a pretty realistic Take-Off weight for this A/C. Normally if an A/C develops a problem requiring it to return to originating station, the crew will attempt to burn down the fuel to get below Max Landing Weight of 198,000 if the problem does not require them to get back on the ground immediately. RegardsPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

a "clean maneuvering speed" is the Va for that aircraft in the clean configuration.But what is the "cleam configuration?" Is this the aircraft with no flaps & gear extended?Chris Catalano

chrisyup, thats right, "clean" means the aircraft has all gear, flaps, leadiing edge devices and speed breaks retracted. thomas

Thanks, Paul, Max landing weight of 198,000 that explains the red letters on take off. I have been doing short hauls for the sake of landing practice, but I wonder if there isn't some menu on the FMC that keeps the weight of the aircraft up to the minute. I remember on WILCO's 767 PIC you could update the FMC before landing in order to ascertain correct flaps and the V ref. Vernon

I believe the FMC keeps track of the current Gross Weight based on Fuel Burn, Make sure you have the reality settings turned on to actually burn fuel or your weight will never change (however you can do some amazing cross coutries)Paul :-cool

Paul Gollnick

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg