Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryT

FS2002 on a Mac?

Guest TerryT

Please do not laugh at the question I am about to ask. Will FS2002 run on a Mac's operating system? My Windows XP Home, AMD 1800 XP +, GF3 Ti500, 768 mb of PC 2100 DDR, machine is up to it's old tricks of "Re-booting" while I fly FS2002. I thought I had gotten rid of it when I installed a 2nd case cooling fan which helped drop the temp 8-10 degrees. I have reloaded the operating system, reloaded FS2002 numerious times and even had it in the computer shop and no problems could be found. I have changed the NVidia drivers and even sent Microsoft per their request a "Memory Dump" of the reboot which took 12 plus hours via their extreamly slow ftp server. I know there are few sims versions designed especially for the Mac and that a Mac is suppose to emulate a PC if the proper software is installed. They say it will even run Windows operating systems but then I would most likely get those uncommanded reboots. I would like to hear from anyone with FS2002/Mac experience.Terry

Guest Joshieca

First of all Fs2002 is a windows based program...so it wont run on the Mac without the Mac running a virutal PC.Second....even though the video cards have improved on the Mac. Virutal PC doesn't fully recognize them. So Direct X wont work right.The bottom line is you can try, but you will more likely be stuck at around 5fps with very poor quality...not worth it...get XPLANE for flight sim on the Mac.http://members.cox.net/joshieca/fstimeslink.gif

Guest eko

I have to agree with this assesment. Although Virtual PC V5 has really made some strides on the performance front, and a high end Mac will certainly run most Windows PC programs fine in emulation... any 3D game which taxes the resources of the video card or the processor will fail to provide any reasonable or acceptable results. Sure, you can try it, but you will be sorely dissapointed.However, X-Plane runs flawlessly on the Mac and is a nice alternative, especially the latest V6, and there is indeed (no lie!!) a company (can't remember off the top of my head, it was a while ago) which is working on a port of FS2002 for the Mac. However, I have not heard anything since the original announcement that they had licensed the port, so it may be "vapourware" at this point.

Guest TerryT

I just looked at a trial version of X-plane for windows and the motion was very fluid and the scenery did not look too bad either. I could not seem to get the joystick to work well but I did notice the voice (ATC) seemed more realistic that FS2002. I sure hope MS gets some stiff competition from some other platforms/programs as it can only drive them to do a better job.Terry

Terry,See my reply in Hardware forum on your rebooting problem.