Sign in to follow this  
Guest vortovor

Use of spoilers?

Guest Ian_Riddell

"Well i checked my manual, may i ask if you are a tech or pilot? just curius"Hi, Dennis.I'm a maintenance engineer.... licensed on the 747-400 (Avionics) and on the 767's and the 747 Classics (Radio trades only, however). Very little experience on 737's (all Line stuff and mostly Classic), but have access to some good books.. and can always pick the brains of those around me ;-)Glad to make your acquaintance :-)Cheers.Ian.

>I'm a maintenance engineer.... licensed on the 747-400>(Avionics) and on the 767's and the 747 Classics (Radio trades>only, however). Very little experience on 737's (all Line>stuff and mostly Classic), but have access to some good>books.. and can always pick the brains of those around me ;-)Cool im educated as an aircraft mechanich (all areas of the aircraft, allso avionic) and then became a technician and flight engenir 2

Guest neil_c

>From a United Airlines Airbus Pilot: Brakes are relatively>innefective until 60-70 knots depending on runway and weight>conditions, that is why reverse thrust is necessary until>then.I think this UA pilot was misinterpreted! Talk about Chinese Whispers!Brakes provide THE main stopping force and are applied upon main gear touchdown. Many landings are done with only reverse idle to reduce engine wear. I think this pilot was referring to the effectiveness of reverse thrust decreasing as speed is reduced, so the autobrake system applies more wheel brake force to maintain the selected constant deceleration rate.>(Normally you dont press on the brakes at 120 knots,>more like 60-70) I think the pilot was referring to when he comes out of autobrake and applies manual braking, he didn't mean that no brakes at all are used until then.I've found that the PMDG 737 doesn't deploy spoilers with weight on wheels, but only when reverse thrust is selected. Bug or FS limitation?Neil.Frozen ATPL and Jet Orientation Course complete on B737-700

"I've found that the PMDG 737 doesn't deploy spoilers with weight on wheels, but only when reverse thrust is selected. Bug or FS limitation?" For the real NG here's how it works: You must have the Speedbrakes armed Thrust levers at idle Wheel speed (spin up) >60 knots + Radio Alt below 10 feet A landing gear strut compression (All including NOSE GEAR STRUT) - Flight spoilers with nose, left or right landing gear strut - Ground spoilers with right main landing gear strut only Reversers But even if the spin up is not detected, the ground sensors (strut compression) will deploy them. For RTO they can be deployed by reverser thrust also (Being in the DOWN position on TO run), once you apply forward thrust they will automatically retract.[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [h4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon [h5]AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h5]

Guest Ian_Riddell

"I've found that the PMDG 737 doesn't deploy spoilers withweight on wheels, but only when reverse thrust is selected."Same here, Neil. This seems to be something which affects a lot of sims. For some people it will work, for others not. One thing which sometimes stops the spoilers working is the thrust levers not being at the idle stop... In some cases this can be due to joystick throttle calibration errors or joystick noise. In other cases, it could be the A/T not moving the thrust levers to idle fast enough during A/P-A/T coupled approaches or the pilot not doing fast enough during manual approaches.(To the PMDG team)Is "Idle" logic for spoiler deployment based on joystick throttle position or engine rpms? If rpms, is Approach Idle implemented in PMDG? The engines may be taking too long a time to spool down from Approach Idle to the trigger rpm point on some folks computers?Cheers.Ian

Guest neil_c

Ian, I was just thinking about joystick calibration errors myself when I read Randy's post, you beat me to it.Will be interesting to see what the idle logic is from the PMDG guys.For the record, I've been landing manually, speedbrakes armed, no autobrake, and bringing the thrust levers to idle at 30ft RA.