Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

SID/STAR data problems

I've just downloaded Terry Yingling's SID/STAR data and having picked a couple of European airports to setup a flight I'm getting error messages regarding missing navaids. The flight was from Pisa, Italy to Madrid, LIRP-LEMD.Here are the error messages: -http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32472.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32473.jpgThere is a PIS NDB so is this just a case of a typo in the LIRP SID file? I can't find a VTB NDB near Madrid but this isn't helped by the fact that the in-built FS2004 map is pretty hard to read.I was also suprised to find that Manchester, a major UK airport is not included in the supplied files. In fact, only 15 UK airports are included and another major European airport - Rome - is also missing.Do end users have access to the source data that Terry used to compile his files?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest womil

Hello PMDG pilots,similar problems obviously with the data of Nuremberg in Germany, EDDN. It is my home airport and so I tried to do some flights from here. But the EDDN.txt file seems to be not readable. I 've got an error message "error at line 15 NB" in the FMC and now the runways at EDDN have disappeared (in the FMC).I am sure we will soon be given more and corrected data. Therefore I decided to fly somewhere else where all the SIDS and STARS are available.Best regards,Wolfgang

Guest stang

>I've just downloaded Terry Yingling's SID/STAR data and>having picked a couple of European airports to setup a flight>I'm getting error messages regarding missing navaids. The navaids are indeed missing from the AIRAC data that the PMDG 737NG uses. See further down as to why. As a fix to get you going make the below changes. They will define the missing fixes.Add to the FIXES section of LEMD so it looks like the following:FIXESFIX VTBNB LATLON N 39 46.99 W 3 28.52ENDFIXESAdd to the FIXES section of LIRP so it looks like the following:FIXESFIX PISNB LATLON N 43 35.35 E 10 17.82ENDFIXESNext you need to use an editor's replace function to change all occurrences of "NAVAID PISNB" to "FIX PISNB" and "NAVAID VTBNB" to "FIX VTBNB" in their respective files. The SIDs and STARs should then function.In addition, thanks to you, I found an error in my program logic which manifests itself as route legs of several thousand miles. So make the next changes also. Using the editor's replace function, in the SIDs and STARs section of the two airports, change all occurrences of the words " TO NAVAID" to the words " FROM NAVAID". Not all SIDs and STARs will have these words though. I will post the corrected procedures on my site as well as giving the corrected procedures to PMDG for their site. >There is a PIS NDB so is this just a case of a typo in the>LIRP SID file? No typo. See below.>I was also suprised to find that Manchester, a major UK>airport is not included in the supplied files. In fact, only>15 UK airports are included and another major European airport>- Rome - is also missing.The SIDs/STARs were derived from DAFIF data put out by NINA. This data is tailored for the military. Because of this only airports they are interested in and/or use are included. Therefore there are a number of "missing" airports. Until I have access to more extensive free navdata I am limited to what you are seeing. As for the missing navaids I was presuming the DAFIF data navaid data would match the AIRAC navaid data. I now know it does not and will modify my converter to add user defined fixes when a navaid is missing from the AIRAC data.Thanks for your help.Terry

Hi Terry,Thanks for your help. I've made the changes and the SIDs and STARs for LIRP and LEMD now function correctly. I would imagine other airports are similarly affected so your amended file would be welcomed by many I'm sure.I understand the situation regarding the source data - no problem with missing airports. I believe someone is developing a SID/STAR creator utility for the PMDG. If this is the case then I'm sure we'll soon have many more files available for users.Thanks for your help :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Terry,What is the url for your site?Thank youDonnie

Guest amerton

>In addition, thanks to you, I found an error in my program logic >which manifests itself as route legs of several thousand miles. Ah ! For once I'm not the culprit...Champagne !:7anthonyAnthony MertonPrecision Manuals Developmenthttp://www.precisionmanuals.com

Guest stang

Howdy Anthony>Ah ! For once I'm not the culprit...Ha. Why should you have all the fun.LaterTerry

Guest stang

Howdy Donnie>What is the url for your site?flightassist.tripod.com/index.htmRegardsTerry

Hi Terry,just been to your website and found your PDMG converter program. If I'm right I will be able to use the utility from Michel Besson found on the fsnavigator site to convert their database to be PIC767 format, I can then use your utility to convert these files for use with my PDMG 737....very cool.The main advantage of this is that fsnavigator database has an extensive list of sid's and star's that are updated regularly by its user base.Good Stuff.Regards,Bill.

Guest stang

Howdy Bill>If I'm right I will be able to use the utility from>Michel Besson found on the fsnavigator site to convert their>database to be PIC767 format, I can then use your utility to>convert these files for use with my PDMG 737....very cool.I see no reason why not. Long way around the problem but it gets the job done. I had contacted the FSNav people with the intent of me programming a SID/STAR converter/editor using their navdata. They refused to supply any info so that project is in the can.>The main advantage of this is that fsnavigator database has an>extensive list of sid's and star's that are updated regularly>by its user base.Always nice to get fresh data. LaterTerry