Sign in to follow this  

ENGINE FAILURE

Hello all,After several frustrating days of problems with the 737NG I finally found a workaround for the problem I had with the numerous crashes to desktop after selecting the 737 on the main screen.I've had several successful flights since then and I am extremely enthused about this 737NG!!!However, I had a very strange event take place this evening which quite honestly added an element of realism that I've not seen before in FlightSim which is a plus! I was on approach to Austin Bergestrom Intl...ref speed set, flaps extended, gear down. As I approached mins I switched off A/T and then disengaged autopilot for landing.I touched down in a manner which did not #### off my passengers (I don't think) but immediately after I heard a recorded voice saying "Engine Failure"....sure enough my reverse thrusters were not operational and so with the help of my brakes I coasted to the nearest taxiway and exited. Ok, so this voice is obviously programmed into PMDG's 737 so what did I do wrong?? I haven't touched the failure settings so I don't think that's the problem...the only thing I did different from other flights with this aircraft is I set both my engine start switches to "Cont" before takeoff. Would that have an effect on the engines upon landing though? I'd like to believe that this is part of PMDG's add-on but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Years of flightsimming and I've never seen anything like this!ThanksChuck Nevin

I set both my engine start switches to "Cont" before takeoff. Would that have an effect on the engines upon landing though? No. That's correct, you set them during the before checklist unless severe preticipation is present which you would then set to FLT. I have never seen this happen and am at a loss as to why but then again we cannot see all your flight settings etc...[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [/4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]

Guest Ian_Riddell

"you set them during the before checklist unless severe preticipation is present which you would then set to FLT."Could you clarify this, please, Randy?....Are you saying CONT is the normal position after takeoff? If so, I'd imagine the ignitors would burn out very quickly. I realize that the PMDG After- T/O checklist says OFF, but there may be different rules for other operators. The PMDG Landing checklist says switch ignition "ON" but there doesn't seem to be an ON position :-)Also, are you saying you would select FLT during the preflight if you were expecting to fly through severe precipitation... or would you only select FLT if you were in the air and were about to fly through severe precipitation? (I can't imagine you would take off in severe precipitation). :-)Thanks.Cheers.Ian.P.S. It seems that selecting FLT is not letting anything get past you :-) FLT activates both ignition systems continuously, whereas CONT activates whatever ignition system you have selected, unless your N2's drop below idle, in which case both ignition systems automatically fire up. This sounds similar to the 767...er... minus the AUTO position, plus an Autorelight function.The pnuematic Start Valve also appears to open in the FLT position... just in case the ignitors don't keep the engine running. Sounds like a perpetual motion machine :-lolP.P.S. Just spotted in the BMM... The DEU's (cockpit display computers) control the Start Valve circuits. Most unusual, I thought.

Yes, They are to be set to CONT before takeoff checklist. After takeoff is another story =). They are normally set to off unless(Required) *prior to anti-ice activation and remain so as long as it is used. They are a after landing checklist also which state OFF I was caught on the TO part of the question, so they must be set to OFF unless needed for anti-ice and then positioned to OFF prior to landing ;)[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smith [/4]P M D G 7 3 7 NG[/h4]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/196432/mineimage.jpg [h3] Realism on the horizon AMD XP 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF2 MX 32 MEG and still runs GOOD!|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"[/h3]