Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sartori23

Flight planning question

Guest Sartori23

I've a small problem with creating flight plans. The problem is figuring out the active runway at the arrival airtport in FS9. Right now I'm just taking a guess based on the prevailing winds at the departure airport. Works ok for really short hops, but going from KONT to KGEG is another story. I fly the ZOOMR1.EPH approach at KGEG, and when programming the FMC I need to select a runway for landing. Where I run into a problem is while on approach, I find out I have, of course picked the wrong runway. I am set up for a left downwind for runway 210, but by the time I'm in range to contact KGEG tower and am cleared straight in for runway 3 my descent path istoo high to make the straight in app on rnwy 3. Wouln't be a problem if I knew ahead of time the active, but have yet to find a way how.I've tried unsuccessfully to alter the FP in the FMC at the last minute. The plane just went nuts on me though :)Of course if you've read this far you probably realize I am pretty new to this and have zero real world experience. I just love the challenge flying this wonderful machine presents. Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.ThanksCarl Moore

Carl,using "only" your MSFS you, and the rest of us, are out of luck as I see it.The options you have is to invest in for instance FSMeteo (there are other programs, perhaps freeware). Using this software you can set a destination and the software will download and show the current weather. Use that info to make a "educated guess" as to which runway you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Sartori23

Thanks Tord,I can't believe I didn't think of that myself. For some reason I never think of the real world weather in FS as being real world. It didn't ever occur to me to check the actual weather for the airport. :)Thanks for taking the time to respond.Carl MooreLOL, I just looked up the weather at KGEG. Winds calm, what luck :)