Sign in to follow this  
RobertVA

VR support for FS2002?

Hi! A couple of years back I saw VR-helmets for sale that you could hook up to your computer. But I haven't seen or heard much about those lately. Now I wonder what happend to them? I suppose FS2002 does not support VR at this moment. Wouldn't it be great to be able use such thing with FS?/Fredrik

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

At least one of the vendors from the DOS days is still selling head mounted displays. The models I saw on their site doesn't seem to include the "head tracker" accesory that allows the view to pan when the user's head nods or turns (would be like virtual cockpit pan). They apparntly simulate a 76" diagonal image at a distance of 13 ft in 2D mode. Since the opticals would make it nessesary for your eyes to focus at the 13 ft distance, in 3D mode the inconsitancy between the positions of the twin images of closer objects and your eyes focusing at 13 ft might disrupt the illusion or make limiting useage time nessesary.The 3D version doesn't appear suitable for those with lightweight budgets either. The earlier version used alternating video frames to control which image went to which eye. I gather some video cards support some LCD shutter 3D glasses that use a similar technique. I don't know if the head mounted display would work properly with the video mode that is intended for the shutter glasses. Both 2D and 3D versions of the current model appear to be compatable with console video games and composite outputs of things like cable converters, satellite tuners, and DVD players.I have never seen any mention of a Windows application that supported the head tracking on the earlier model HMD from the company linked to below. The earlier model was significantly lower resolution, I think in the neigborhood of 320 X 240. Seems to be good for video games and TV viewing in 2D if you don't mind the resolution reduction though. I got a set of the earlier ones on clearance, but never tried it with the computer. I mostly use it for a N64 but have used it with a wireless video repeater to watch TV on my front portch. I think the head tracke uses the serial port, so I beleive I had problems finding an interupt that wouldn't conflict with the modem or mouse on the computer.http://www.i-glasses.com/assets/pdfs/SVGAdata.pdf