Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Questions about the OshKosh addon

First, let me say I love this scenery! It's great to see what can be accomplished with a well considered balance of scenery detail and frame rates. My question have more to do with the approaches themselves. I've read the NOTAMs and tried several of the approaches. First, since the 421C is not a turboprop, it doesn't really fit in the classification of high performance aircraft that approach over warbird island. Still, at 135kts (the speed restriction on the approach from Fisk, I believe) the nose is too high to really fly VFR. With flaps down and a booster seat (shift-enter) I can start to see the railroad tracks. That's more an observation than a question.I'm not sure I'm seeing the gravel pit that seems to be so critical to most approaches. Is it the big white area just past the North/South highway? The water tower that should be off my left wing doesn't seem to be there either. My biggest question is, how can you get down to 18 in a safe fashion when you can't descend below 1800 until over 27? There is supposed to be a displaced threshold indicated in dayglo orange but the designers didn't include it I guess. That would help me get some idea of where I should be aiming.Also, with high performance aircraft landing on 27/9 at the same time as planes on 18, how would they handle a go-around situation?? I could see a case where a Lear jet might have to bolt and cross the descending VFR traffic on final for 18. There isn't much in the NOTAMs about go-arounds. I've flown into Osh Kosh before (granted I was about 10 years old!) and had no idea at the time how dangerous it really was!David

Hi David:If you are flying at 135k you should be at 2300, not 1800 and you establish both of those restrictions at Ripon.The railroad tracks are not there that I can tell. However, there looks to be a dirt road that is in the same location as the tracks (at least it follows the same path sort of parallel to Hwy 44). personally, I think 44 is easier to see than the RR trackI can see the gravel pit (just north of 20th street), but I can't find the blue water tower???If you are landing on 18, you will be entering downwind from the south (from Fisk) then turning short base at the ATC tower. You will be decended to 1800 (from your 2300/135) at Fisk. You don't need to cross 27s path.As for go-arounds from 9/27, this should not be a factor when landing on 18 from the south because you are entering downwind from the south direct from Fisk.

Just so you know, "high performance" means an aircraft with an engine producing 250 hp or more. Has nothing to do with whether it is a turbine or not.

Kathy,Thanks for the reply! You are right about the altitude restriction from Ripon to Fisk and then the merge to 1800 at Fisk (that must be interesting for the poor soles!). At Fisk it looks like you have an option to turn east at the microwave tower, then approach the field from the south, but I continued along the railroad tracks and turned base at what I guess must be the gravel pit. It was a rather short base at 135kts! From this direction, though, you definitely cross over 27/9 and are supposed to stay at 1800 until doing so, which makes for a bit of a dive to rwy18.Thanks for the replies everyone! That followup article to last year's fly-in was sobering! I then did a quick NTSB search and was shocked to see how many accidents there are every year. I'm surprised they still issue the variances for the traffic!David

Well, actually, high performance is more than 200 hp. See FAR 61.31(f)CheersBob

You just bet me to it, Bob!Bruce.