Sign in to follow this  
Guest UweR

Optimal descent rate configuration?

Hi all, I flew the LOC/DME WEST approach into LOWI for a few times now in various aircraft and wondered which configuration of the -700 would allow me the steep descent (8.2%) in VNAV mode without disconnects. Right now I have to use VS and SPD, and operate at the upper flaps 5 limit with speed brakes extended. My ZFW is medium high (113.3 maybe 60% loaded), fuel a bare minimum (maybe 3000) when I land.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Done LOWI a couple of times on the 757 (with simulator training and all), and this is done with landing gear down, flaps 20 when doing a circle to land to 08, or in full landing configuration when landing on 26. I haven't done it on the 737 yet, but I think it's the same configuration (so gear down, flaps 15 for 08, landing config for 26). And yes, that's all the way down from 11,500 ft (I don't remember the exact altitude, corrected for temperature) in that configuration! Iz

Hi Uwe!Already mentioned this on a german forum (Flightxpress, shure you know it :) ):there's a DVD (or video, in case you don't have a DVD player) out there by World Air Routes. This DVD shows an approach done by a 737-800 into LOWI runway 26, circling to runway 08. The captain says that the company he works for (Transavia, btw) always does approaches into LOWI in full configuration, gear down at the beginning of the glideslope (at 9500 ft.). They do it for that extra need of drag down that steep approach...It's a really cool video, an approach to runway 26 alone would be cool, but circling to 08 is really great :-)regards,Japhy