Sign in to follow this  
Guest sludge

Off Topic--Global Mag Heading error help

Guest sludge

Folks:Off topic but there are smart people here so I'm asking for your help...I tried to install some UK scenery yesterday, which locked up my computer (FS2002, WinXP Home SP1), so I tried to uninstall it manually (no unistall routine provided with the scenery, at least not that I could find). It appears that in the UK, Sweden, and Italy (I haven't tried it in other places yet) I now have a heading problem of about 30 or more degrees to the right of what it should be. This occurs in both the default 737 and the PMDG 737, Airac 0312 and 0313. For some reason it does not affect the SSW A310's heading.I start up in the default MS B737 at Malaga and the heading seems to work okay there. If I go to Alicante (LEAL) the heading seems to be okay there. But if I go to the other countries mentioned above I've got this huge heading error.I have my winds aloft set to zero, I don't use any weather programs, and I'm trying to figure out if the (failed) scenery fiddled with one of my core scenery files to produce the error.The only other thing I did at the same time was to install some PMDG liveries, which should not have had an effect.....Any thoughts? All help appreciatedThxBill S.

Guest sludge

OopsI now see that it is doing it to my SSW A310 as well. Nuts!!Bill

Guest MarkC

Hi Bill,Just ran into that problem myself, see attached screenshot. Caused alot of problems for lnav and vor/loc tracking, very disorenting as well. After landing at KLAS, i discovered that ms2k showed my heading as 298 while sitting on rwy 25R at KLAS (apparently my global hdg was ~40 degrees offset). The very last thing i had installed was SoCal MegaScenery. I just deinstalled that and went back into flightsim and it seems my headings are back to normal. I searched over at the megascenery forum but couldn't find any posts that mentioned the same issue. Very very puzzling. Would be interested to hear if anyone else can come up with a definitive cause for this.Regards,MarkIn the screenshot you can see that MS shows winds as 228/20, ND shows 252/20, and FMC shows 275/20. Also track shows as 292 on ND but 269 in FMC. Should also add that this isn't a PMDG issue, was global to all a/c.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/54592.jpg

Guest sludge

Mark:Thank you for the reply, happy holidays to you! I went back and de-activated some other scenery that I had installed recently (Rovaneimi, Finnclass and Finnterrain) and the problem went away! I then re-activated the same scenery, one at a time, and it is back on line with no mag heading error anymore.Go figure!Anyway, hope that is the last I see of this strange behavior....Thanks again,Bill S.

Guest sludge

Today I have an even larger mag heading error, now it is about 105 degrees off. Deactivating the scenery again has no effect. I don't have any failures set in FS2002, and realism is set to easy. I'm pulling what's left of my hair out!!Any thoughts out there?ThxBill S.

Guest MarkC

Hi again Bill,Same thing happened to me. Thought I had it fixed but about 30 minutes into my next flight it happened again. After some digging, I went to fly-tampa's forum as I recently purchased and installed their San Diego scenery. The developer did state that there was a problem with their afcad file which came with the installer and that it caused this exact problem. I deleted the afcad files he indicated and it appears everything is back to normal. Let me know if that fixes it for you.Regards,MarkHere's a link to the post in their forumhttp://66.98.138.31/~railkoba/flytampaforu...224a8f8d05ac82d

Guest sludge

Hi Mark, thanks for the response.No, it doesn't seem to help, at least so far. Last night I was able to get it to work by deactivating some scenery and then reactivating, but this morning it isn't doing the trick. I've tried uninstalling the last few afcad files but that hasn't helped either. This is driving me nuts!ThxBill

Guest sludge

Bump!I don't have the scenery that Mark references, and I've deleted all the suspected recently-installed scenery and I still have the problem. This just showed up all of a sudden and it is driving me nuts. Any of you smart simulator people have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! Is there a specific .bgl file that, if corrupted, would produce the mag heading errors I've described? Looking at other forums I see some other folks are having the same problems....ThxBill S.

Bill, Interesting thread...and there are posts showing up all over the forums about people experiencing this problem. I hadn't used FS2002 in a while and now when I start it, I get an error message about the MAG VAR data not being able to be read by FS2002...so FS2002 will set it to zero in all places. Clearly a problem.I have a bunch of new scenery installed in FS9 but nothing recently in FS2002....something peculiar is going on. I know that MAG VAR varies with time, I don't know if MS put something in the sim to model that and possibly we are coming up with a problem on a certain date. It's weird, whatever it is.regards,