Sign in to follow this  
Guest michaelforbes

"You are 500 ft above your assigned altitude"

Was flying the PMDG on VATSIM last night (which is a complete joy...you guys did a great job on this bird) and center told me I was at 35,500, but the altimiter showed 35,000. The barometric pressure was set at 29.92 at FL180, and "STD" was showing.Hitting shift-z, it did in fact show 35,500, due to the difference in barometric pressure between 29.92 and the local setting. My question is, does the mode-c report the altitude from the altimiter? Or does ATC "see" the 35,500 in this case, and just take into account the difference? This possibly could be a controller error.I've never had this problem before. I had to descend to 29,500 for the "sim" altitude read 35,000.Anyone else had this problem?Thanks,Mike Forbes

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As a VATSIM controller, I have seen many different aircraft at +/- 500 feet of their assigned altitude while the pilots report being at their indicated cruising altitudes with STD (29.92) altimeter above 18k, so this isn't a phenomenon specific to the PMDG NG. I just write it off as an issue between the way SquawkBox is reporting the altitude to the VATSIM servers in regards to the local altimeter.. and something gets reported incorrectly. Most other controllers I know take this into account and don't bug the pilots too much about it.. perhaps the controller you were working with was new and merely didn't realize there's unfortunately a slight margin of error.HTH, and happy flying. :)