Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

MemTurbo - Has Anyone Tried It?

Guest Heather 636

I have been browsing and came across this software that claims to free up a lot of your RAM.http://www.memturbo.com/What I have read of it sounds good, but then, EVERY manufacturer is going to boast and exaggerate the qualities of their product and tell you nothing of any little nasty side effects.I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it and what your views are, especially any potential conflict with FS2002 or crashing problems.Regards,Heather

Simple. It costs $ 20. A simple look on pricewatch tells me you can add more RAM to your computer for little more than that. Go with the RAM. This is true of any program that claims to speed up your computer. Always consider buying hardware first.I have tried MemTurbo and the only thing I can recommend is do not set strict settings, or it will have to clean up some of what Windows really needs in the RAM and all will be loaded again anyway as soon as you start doing something on your computer (you'll notice your system slow down a bit while Windows reloads menus, icons... etc). Keep in mind MemTurbo does the job as it states but no more. It empties the RAM without checking what's in it. I'd like to see a program that prevents memory leaks (some memory not freed by a program when you close it) and doesn't remove stuff that's actually needed (by Windows for example). And Windows got pretty good at cleaning up memory since Windows 2000. XP is even better at it. That means whatever is in your RAM is probably needed by what's running and cannot be removed (it will be reloaded anyway as soon as you move your mouse). Aside from that, you need to be really on a tight budget for considering buying it. Go with the RAM, really, you'll be grateful.__________________________________________________________EricList of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

Guest gasebah

Well I agree that the best memturbo would be WinXP. If you want to spend money to prevent memory leaks and free unused ram then buy a copy of XP Home.Alex

I used to use Memturbo registered version when I ran win98and WinME. Worked great for me. Its unnecessary with XPthough.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Hi Heather,I agree with Eric.I brought a similar program & didn`t see any difference at all, then added more memory (not much extra cost) & gained an overall performance boost.Buy another memory chip. BTW what system are you running?I have WinXP Home, manages the memory well but loves extra chips (like me ha! ha!).Rob

Memory programs are a thing of the past. They were good when everyone had DOS 6.X and Windows 3.1. Since the release of Windows 9x, Win2K, and XP, they OSes provide far better memory management than some $20 program, that claims to free up more memory. The only thing that these programs do is stop processes and services that it deems are not needed. You can do the same thing use MSCONFIG in Win9x and ME, or the task manager in W2k pro XP Home and Pro. Just make sure that the processes and services that you are stopping are not needed by other programs. Save your cash on the program, and buy the additional DIMM.

Guest Heather 636

Thanks!! I REALLY appreciate it when you guys save me a buck or two. And, since I am running XP Pro, looks like I certainly do not need it from what you've all said.Thanks again for the feedback.Cheers!Heather