Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claude troncy

Who manage the MCP

Bonjour,I am trying to understand how it goes on in the cockpit, and I would like to know during the after takeoff /approach procedure when the PF makes CALL for retracting/extending the flaps, who set the MCP speed , is it the PF (Who flies the aircraft following the FD bar) or is it the PNF job.Also during ATC request (Change level, reduce speed, heading) who manage the knobs.Who push APP button ?after takeoff it seems that PF calls for pushing LNAV VNAV etc .... Best regards.Claude Troncy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I guess this could be up to the operator, but the procedures I know dictate that the MCP (or FCU on airbus) is the pilot flying's responsibility (ie he makes the changes). If workload is high (such as during takeoff) he can call for a change and then the PNF will set the MCP according to the request of the PF.The same applies when ATC tells you something. If the aircraft is flying on autopilot (pilot workload is not high) the pilot flying will manipulate the MCP changes. In other circumstances the PNF will set it according to PF request.Hope this helped you,Mark

Hi Mark,That is very clear, thank you very muchClaude Troncy