Sign in to follow this  

Need Help - FS2002 lockups

Hello,For some reason FS2002 keeps locking up when I'm flying with it. Strange thing is, that it's the only software on my pc that locks up. And when it locks, my entire computer locks up. Only a hard reset will bring it back.Doesn't matter what scenery I use. It appears to happen a lot more when using thirdparty aircraft, but it doesn't matter which one (Phoenix A319/320/321, Dreamfleet 737-400 or various freeware aircraft).These are my system specs:Athlon Classic 700 overclocked to 800MHzAsus K7V motherboard512MB PC133 SDRAM (Kingston)20Gb IBM harddriveCreative Annihilator Pro (GeForce256 with 32MB DDR)Windows 98SEFor the graphicscard, I've tried several driver versions.On the background I've Norton Internet Security running. Other than that no specific software.Also I already tried some reinstalls (even complete system reinstall)Moment of lock up is completely unpredictable sometimes when turning to final after a multi-hour flight (extremely frustrating!!!) and sometimes already during pre-flight.Hope someone recognizes this problem and/or knows how to fix this, because it is taking all the fun out of a nice FS-evening.Thanks for any help!Kind Regards,Frank

If a complete system reinstall is failing to fix the problem, then I'd say the issue is most likely hardware. Why do other programs run fine while FS2002 doesn't? The answer--I'd bet that FS2002 is using significantly more memory than your other apps. That may lead in the direction of a solution for the problem....which I believe may be memory and/or heat related.Memory can become unstable for a number of reasons. I had one chip that refused to be stable when close to a heat source (the cpu). When I swapped it with another and it was away from the cpu, it acted fine--and is still in my system today. One of the systems I support at my office had a devilish problem...it would lock up always with one app, and one app only (MSWord). I suspected memory, and the chips always tested fine. Still trusting my hunch, I replaced them, and the problem went away.I also have to say that I've never liked overclocking--that can sometimes be the kiss of death for RAM happy apps like 2k2. How is stability when you turn O/C off? Probably not a fair question, as sometimes RAM is compromised even through the process of overclocking..... In addition to MB memory, also remember that texture memory is used by the G. Card, and FS2002 uses all of it. Some of your other apps may not, and again O/C of systems can tip the scale against stability if an app uses a G. Card heavily.-John

Have you tried shutting down the Norton Internet Security to see if the lockups stop. virus checkers cause problems when the useage rate gets high and they also tend to interfere if they are checking files that are in use.

Guest SoarPics

Hi Frank,I have learned that John and William certainly know their stuff when it comes to these boxes of bits. Their suggestions would be easily implemented.Another I would offer pertains to the issue of heat. A simple test would be to remove the side cover and place a small house fan so that it blows fresh air into the open components. Then go flying.If you haven't already tried SiSoft Sandra for monitoring temps (and many other hardware matters) you can download it here:http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandraGood luck and keep us posted on this,Regards,

Hi!First of all, I want to thank you guys for giving such comprehensive replies. It tried all your suggestions and when I ended up with the last one (removing the side cover and placing a small house fan so that it blows fresh air into the open components), I found the probable cause to all my problems... The cooling fan of the graphicscard doesn't work!! Appearantly FS2K2 asks the maximum of my graphicscard and than it jams. I hope my graphicscard isn't really damaged. Tomorrow I'll start looking for a new fan.Thanks again for your help!Regards,Frank