Sign in to follow this  

Question: 'Crabbing' or 'slipping' when landing in a cr

Guest Iain Spowart

Hi there,I've just been reading an interesting thread on the iPilot.com forum debating the different methods of landing in a crosswind. I was wondering what the pilots (real and virtual) here consider to be the best method.I've always tried to keep the aircraft level, pointing into the wind until the flare when I use rudder to straighten up. (This is only in sims, having never landed a real aircraft :-))Iain Spowart,Scotland.Webmaster and photographer,Scottish Claymores 2002Cheerleaders Fan Sitehttp://www.claymorescheerleaders.com/media/avsim/2002-s.jpghttp://ClaymoresCheerleaders.com

Guest DNelson

This is one of those topics that will probably have as many opinions as there are responses, but here's my take...My preferred (real life) method is to hold a crab on most of final approach, then during the landing flare, simultaneously straighten the nose and eliminate side drift using both rudder and aileron. Two reasons for a crab instead of a slip while on final are:1) A crab is a coordinated maneuver, while a slip is not. I find it easier to make small directional corrections while in a crab. Also, while not what I'd call unsafe, being in a cross-controlled configuration, while flying slow and close to the ground, does not improve the margin of safety (IMO).2) Comfort. While not a big deal to pilots, passenger comfort should always be considered. The forces generated in a cross-controlled sideslip tend to push everyone sideways in their seats, which some "white-knuckle" passengers may not enjoy.Dan

Guest KenG

Yep, learned it the same way and for the same reasons. However, I was also taught the crab kick-out method. I tried it and almost ripped the gear off the first time. It's very difficult to time it just right. My instructor told me it is his preferred method in larger aircraft, but he sticks with the crab/slip method for the trainers and will only teach it to his primary students. He said with my keen sense of timing I should try with my foggles on next time. :-kewl

This is one of those topics for a lousy day discussion around the hanger along with such perennial favorites as power vs. pitch on final. :-) One reason the big iron use the crab and kick method is that slipping in a swept-wing aircraft isn't easy. In addition, flying with the upwind wing low, as in a slip, with wing-pod mounted engines creates the possibility of banging an engine on the runway. I was taught both methods and actually prefer to slip in small planes, although I agree that it can be disconcerting to passengers. Bob