Sign in to follow this  

RealityXP and FSFlightMax

I'm thinking about purchasing one or possibly both of these products, as I've heard they are very good. Can anyone offer some opinions? To my untrained eye, it looks like they do different jobs - so if I only go for one, which would be the better bet?Also, I believe that FSFlightMax can display a flight plan on it's moving map display... So does this mean that I can load a flight plan in to the RealityXP GSP system, fly it using that, and have it displayed on the FSFlightMax moving map? The reson I ask this is that the FSFlightMax map looks easier to read (ie it's bigger) than the RealityXP one...Any opinions and comments on these products would be greatly appreciated :-).Regards,Dave.

Hi Dave.I have both products.I use both products at the same time. Since I mainly fly VFR, I like to have a sectional up and online all the time, so I also bought the Aeroplanner Simpack (50 charts for 50 dollars). I use FSFlightMax to display the charts and the GPS part of RealityXP to do all the good GPS stuff that's helpful. Both can display the flightplan so I usually have that superimposed over the sectional in FSFlightMax. I then use the GPS to get all sorts of info I might want (nearby ATIS freqs, runway info for my destination, etc). Yeah, I can get all this with FSNav (which is also a great tool that I have purchased) but I wouldn't have FSNav with me in a real plane, either. :) In fact, I use FSNav to create the flight plans in the first place. So I use all 3.Don't forget, though, that the RealityXP stuff is more than just a GPS and FSFlightMax is more than just a sectional displayer. I'm sure you know that, but I sometimes forget because I have such specific uses for the tools. I fly with real weather and have been blesses/cursed with clear skies for weeks...once I hit some bad weather I'm sure I'll get some more use out of FlightMax's weather radar. I always fly the Dreamfleet Archer II, so I haven't had much call to replace the radio stack there (and had a problem when I tried, though that may be fixed with the latest RealityXP release).Hope all this rambling helps a bit.--Tony

I bought FlightMax and as you say it is not the same as RealityXP. FlightMax contains, among other things, a working wx radar and lightning detection. Today it works with FS wx and downloaded FSMeteo wx, but there will apparently come new versions of both products that will enable real-time FSMeteo wx to be displayed in FlightMax. Regarding the display of flightplan it works by loading a FS2k2 flightplan.RealityXP is a GPS navigator. Since I don

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest UweR

Hi Dave, I can definitely recommend both. If you want to make your vfr flying experience more real, try to fit both into the budget. They complement each other perfectly.Best Regards, Uwe

Guest KenG

As you and others have said, the 2 products do different things. If you were purchasing these items for a real plane, you could live without the FlightMax, but would need some kind of GPS/LORAN for the FlightMax to be useful. The FlightMax is multifunction display. The RealityXP stack is a GPS, NAV/COM, and transponder. Both products are very realistic and complement each other extremely well. Product support by the respective companies could NOT be better.If you can afford only one, then you must decide which you want more based on your flying habits. I like both, but have yet to purchase the FlightMax until full FSMeteo support is implemented. Once that happens (soon, I am told), I'll be sure to pony up the bucks for it.

"I like both, but have yet to purchase the FlightMax until full FSMeteo support is implemented"Ditto with an addition.I purchased the 50 chart pack. I have OziExplorer that will run on another machine. Ozi will automatically load/switch to another chart when I leave the present chart's coverage area. FlightMax is looking at that functionality (as with FSMeteo). For me, I will purchase when both are implemented. I have a Garmin GPS Pilot and although not a perfect match of display capabilities, I like having a similar chart capabilities for the sim(yes, they differ in presentation, but the airspace classes and rings are important to me).All in all, FlightMax looks to be a wonderful product with tremendous potential.