Sign in to follow this  
Mac_Paint

Baked Alaska

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

lame #### subject! lol jkawesome one of my fav liveries!jason

Beautiful! Could you preview the American livery? :) thanks

Baked? You must be thinking Southwest, the other profitable airline!Looks great... just like I thought it would!I'm looking forward to flying this beauty as well the American livery!Regards,Ted Panamarioff - Kodiak, Alaska sunny and 5 degrees above zero!

HI Philip,Q: Are you asking why the image on the vertical fin?A: While I cant speak for Alaska Airlines, I am guessing that Alaska (the state) has long been known for its largest group of indigenous people - Eskimos, therefore Alaska Airlines saw fit to represent its rich Alaskan heritage with an image doing honor to all Alaska's ancient peoples... I personally am one of those ancient races, though not Eskimo, everytime I see an Alaska Airlines jet flying, no matter where I am at... I feel a special kinship, knowing I am close to home...In the past Alaska Airlines used other images to convey the Alaska to the world... Totem Poles, Prospectors, Orthodox Church Domes, Gold Nuggets..Q: Who is it and why?A: I was told that is name [was] Chester Sivik, an Inupiat Eskimo man who used to meet and greet incoming passengers on Wien and Alaska Airlines flights to Nome and Kotzebue Alaska in the late 50's until his death in the 70's, again, I am guessing that Chester represents the "Spirit of Alaska's People" the spirit of hospitality and open-ness, welcoming and friendship... those human qualities that Alaska's people are known for...Alaska Airlines has its roots in the earliest years of Alaskan aviation. The early pioneers who were the forerunners of the modern day Alaska Airlines are some of state of Alaska's most respected citizens. (for their many heroic deeds and pioneering spirit) Many of us like to think that Alaska Airlines still carries this "Alaska Spirit" to the world... from customer service, HUD in the cockpits, being one of the first "internet airlines" oh yeah... the first airline to order and operate the 739! Guess I better stop here... Regards,Ted Panamarioff - Kodiak, Alaska

Thanks Ted! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I kind of knew that it was an image of an Eskimo but I wondered if there was any more significance to it than just the obvious. Although I have traveled extensively I have not traveled on Alaska Airlines or for that matter even seen many of their aircraft and seeing the pics above made me decide to try and end my ignorance. In the near future I will be able to really learn about Alaska since a friend of mine will be moving there in the near future and I plan to spend some time there over the coming years.Thanks again!Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg