Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

A Vote Please - Your Opinion is Important

Guest Heather 636

I doubt there are many here now who are not aware of me. Although I may seem to some like a devil-child at times, I am always very much aware of the way I may or may not present myself. No one likes to portray themselves as a fool and open themselves up to ridicule. Therefore, even though I like to have fun and be friendly, I also like to present myself in a professional, ladylike fashion.That brings up this. There is no doubt that my "signature" is quite visible, to say the least. Even I had qualms about modifying it, resulting in it becoming even larger, and that's pretty bad from this life-time Tomgirl.So far, I have had one remark saying that they liked it. I have had another questioning it, which also makes me wonder if even I have gone too far.Here was my reply when questioned:As far as the "size" of my signature, yes, that was given some consideration and the only way to find out was to do it. If asked to remove it or overwhelmingly told that it is in bad taste, I will most assuredly and most promptly remove it.So far, the count is 1/1I have had one response to the affirmative and yours. If a number of persons, not necessarily a majority, find it objectionable, just let me know and it will be gone!Of course, Admin ALWAYS over-rules. It's their house after all. If they wish it downsized, I will graciously do so as soon as I receive notification.I try very hard here to avoid stepping on anyone's toes, be sensitive to perhaps different views and cultures of my international friends, and, more than anything else, present myself in a professional, yet fun and friendly manner. I do hope that you have not found me straying from these personal guidelines.So, be honest. What do YOU think? You are welcome to elaborate as much as you wish or a simple yea or nay will do as well.My sincerest regards,Heather Anne Sherman

Guest SoarPics

Hi Heather,I like your sig. And if Avsim has no problems with it then I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.Remember, you can't please all the people all the time. If we all work within the guidelines of this forum there will be few if any problems.Regards,

Guest Lindy

You asked for honesty and I'm nothing if not honest. I like your signature, but it IS a little big. However, if Avsim has no problems with it, I certainly don't. YOU GO GIRL!! -Lindy :-rotor wannabe

Okay......... honestly, the two pics with the DC3 are great, as I've noticed them many times. The "cartoon" pic makes the signature too big!L.Adamson

Hi Heather,My first impression was that the sig was a tinsy bit big, but it's growing on me. You've got a "big" personality that is well matched by the "big" sig.;) Whatever you decide please, please, please don't lose the Vargas girls. Put's a smile on my face everytime I see them.:-hahJeff Williams (KDCA)

Guest Edam

Sheesh Heather! Was it really necessary to start a new topic over this issue, much less a "vote" whether it's acceptable, or not? As you said, there was ONE comment about it, mine. Aren't you overreacting a bit? You didn't ask, but I'll tell you anyway...Your sig is approximately 62k in size. If you respond 10 times in a thread, that means that a modem user will have to download 620k, in addition to whatever else is there, just to read the thread that you responded to. Sure, You don't have a problem with it, "Soarpics" doesn't, and I don't. I am on broadband, apparently "Soarpics" is also, and for now I will ignore his comment "Remember, you can't please all the people all the time." Maybe he is just defending one of the few "chicks" that post here. HIS problem if that is true, and you will probably get more that defend you in the same vein.Beyond that, it is rather annoying, even for SOME of us on broadband, to have to scroll down more than we would like to, just to get past your sig to see the rest of the responses.If such a thing is no problem here, so be it, but I think that "sig sizes" should be an issue. If not, maybe I'll come up with a few of my own and see how YOU like it.

Is it appropriate? It is if you think so. IMHO the only two opinions that count in that regards are Avsim's and your's. If Avsim hasn't got a problem with it, I sure don't. As to aesthetics, well, it certainly isn't boring, I'll give you that. And for that reason alone I'd keep it. The world would be a boring place if everyone did the same thing. Besides the forums get a little too sterile at times anyway. Maybe I need to take a break from designing aircraft and design a signature.....hmmmmmm.Mike Stone

Chicks? Thats how you address females in a polite fashion? Without knowing Heather, I'd say you're out of line. She may or not be fine with it, but the fact that you don't know that makes it wholly improper to use.As for your calculations, the images are downloaded once and cache'd in your browser for future viewings. So, in a thread, hers adds 62k regardless of her number of posts.Take care, http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

I like the sig. Adds color to an otherwise bland looking forum. (No offence, Tom. :) ). I do notice it is growing. I don't have a problem with it, but those with dial-up connections may start to experience some lag if it gets any bigger. But really, if it's okay with Avsim, do what you want.

I'd make it smaller.I don't think d/l speed is a consideration -- I suspect if your image comes up once in someone's browser it's undoubtably cached and therefore won't be much of a factor. But I have to admit I've become just a *teensy* bit annoyed at having to scroll down more than I would for a "normal" post (but this also goes for even smaller sigs, like Elrond's).But that's just my opinion -- I don't think it should be a vote, only how *you* feel about it. From my own standpoint, I wouldn't want anything on my messages that might make anyone predisposed to feeling uncomfortable or annoyed at me. But that's just me (and I often end up writing things that annoy people -- but I'd just rather not add anything more to that mix :>).

Guest SoarPics

Edam,"Remember, you can't please all the people all the time." was not directed at you. It is simply a fact of life.And I like Heather's sig because... well I find it entertaining. Heather and I are about the same age (sorry Heather, that truth about our age hurts me as much as you :-lol ), and neither of us is looking for anything more than to share our simming experience. Just like most folks here.I do not accept your opinion about her sig, but I certainly accept your right to voice your opinion. And I accept your right to rant about the issue.Good day, sir

Guest Edam

"Is it appropriate? It is if you think so."Wrong. She doesn't run this Forum."IMHO the only two opinions that count in that regards are Avsim's and your's. If Avsim hasn't got a problem with it, I sure don't."Wrong again...Her opinion is irrelevant, so is yours. AVSIM's is a different story. If AVSIM, or you, for whatever that's worth, have no problem with unlimited sig pic sizes, then you can both enjoy the consequences of that decision. Shall I test your opinion that whatever one thinks is appropriate as a sig is OK? I'm guessing that you won't. Of course, I wouldn't go to that extreme, that was hypothetical.

Guest Edam

Oh good, here's Elrond coming at me again.What makes you think that the reference to "chicks" was derogatory? For SOME of us that's actually COMPLIMENTARY. Oh wait...as far as you are concerned we must be totally PC. OK, I'll rephrase...WOMEN. LADIES. Take your pick. Satisfied? BTW...by reading Heather's past posts, I get the feeling that she wouldn't object to it. She hasn't so far. But we now have Elrond coming in defending females everywhere. Um...do YOU know Heather enough to know if she would object to that, or are you just blowing off some irrelevant steam, maybe trying to gain some points with one of the few "chicks?"