Sign in to follow this  
Guest allblack

General approach/ILS/ATC question/s

OK. Sim paused.I'm flying ESSA-EDDF, on a heading of 255. ATC has told me I'm landing 7L. Flying pretty much parallel to the runway.Being well-behaved as I am I'm following ATC instruction, curious to see just how far past the airport it will send me before it turns me approx 180degrees for the approach.I got to 63.9nm PAST the airport before it all went t**s-up and ATC cancelled my IFR.Therefore, I have two questions for the learned amongst us:1/ Why did ATC send me 64nms PAST the airport with no instruction to turn for my approach?2/ Why, when I followed and replied to an instruction three minutes earlier, did ATC all of a sudden cancel my IFR with no warning?I was playing along with it to see just how far beyond the threshold it was going to send me before giving me approach vectors. 64nms (at least!) seems nuts. Is this "real-world"?Would love to see some comments regarding this.Thanks all. Time for beauty sleep, see you in the morning.Tim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I assume ATC (FS's ATC that is) gave you instructions like "Speedbird 007 cleared for ils app 7 L right traffic"? or something like that? I don't use it so I am guessing. It's up to you to here if you are not inbound on the proper course (Downwind base etc). Visually it's timed from the edge of the rnwy for leg turns etc. I really do not believe FS's ATC is good enough in these situations.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

My daily grind is being an ATC - let me tell you that FS is not so good at it. I would imagine it is quite difficult to program 'ATC logic' into FS, but I guess they tried and that's their attempt.When I work Approach control - I only really vector traffic within 30nm from the airport, as that is where most of the sequencing with headings will take place (outside of 30nm I try to sequence with speed changes). FS has this really nasty habit of giving 7 or 8 violent turns when you're quite far out from the airfield. I don't even know if FS ATC logic keeps you in controlled airspace... I DO know they aren't very good at keeping aircraft apart...The nice thing with the NG 737 is you have a plan view of where you are in relation to the airport, and now with TCAS - other aircraft, so I vector myself around the sky to slot in ahead/behind other aircraft as I feel like it. In the older acft without the ND, it's a bit tricky to vector yourself around for an airport you don't know...Bryan