Sign in to follow this  
Krister

How to disengage APP mode and engage HDG mode?

Yesterday I was flying on VATSIM from EDDS to ESMS with the 737-700 in MSFS2K2. When on final, the approach controller decided that he had put me too close to an airplane in front of me so he issued a go around. By then I was in APP mode and he wanted me to turn left heading 090 and climb and maintain 2500. My question is what should I do to exit APP mode and enter HDG and VS mode? I tried simply pushing the HDG and VS buttons but the plane just continued the heading and descent it had while in APP mode (HDG and VS wouldn't lit up). I also tried to pull the Autopilot Disengage bar which sure enough put the plane out of autopilot, but when I tried pushing HDG and VS (and they wouldn't lit up now either) and then CMD the plane tried steering back to the approach course.I ended up flying it all manually and when I was back on final I could enter APP mode again and I did a beautiful full stop landing.But what did I do wrong and what should I have done instead?

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi :)After glide slope capture, the APP button on the MCP goes dark. To leave APP mode, you can:A) Push the TO/GA switchesOR:( Disengage the Autopilot (the bar) AND turn off the flight directorsORC) Retune the VHF radio receiverTherefore, after your situation, the flight directors might have required toggling off then back onHope this helps,Geoffrey BaleanCanberra, AU (YSCB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg http://www.vozvirtual.org/images/pmdgforumsignature.png"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. All is well!"Pentium 4 2.4GHZ, P4G8X Deluxe with Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, 512MB RAM, LG Flatron L1710S 17" LCD, GeForce MX440 Millenium Silver, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Logitech Speakers, CH Yoke & Rudder, Quantum Fireballp AS30.0 - Basically nothing crash hot :)MSFS 2004 acof, PMDG 737 6/7/8/900, Activesky 2004, Flight One Cessna 152, SquawkBox 2.3 w/ guage, ServInfo 2.2, FS AutoStart, FS Real Time, FSUIPC 3.212 (unreg.:()

Thanks Geoffrey!Will try all three suggestions! Really this is something you should know and be able to handle before you go flying on VATSIM and make a fool out of yourself, but this was the first time ever I've been ordered to abort the landing!Thanx again!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------