Sign in to follow this  
Guest davfra

Still Having Problems

I tried the Geezer guide and things worked more of less normally. When I program my own flight plan into the FMC (via FSNav and the patch for this task) things start to go pear shape. The flight plan comes up as complete. I take off and reach maximum altitude without any problem. Then the VNAV light goes out, and wont come back on again. No matter which buttons I press, VNAV light stays out, even when I should be descending. There`s a message on the FMC which says "Check MCP altitude". I`m at 25000 and the altitude is set to 5000 on the MCP so surely VNAV should be working. Then I get another message which says "VNAV Dis-connected".Most of the time I use Radar Contact, so don`t really need VNAV, although I`d like to get it working.The other problem is with approach. I`m coming down with glide slope captured and suddenly it goes out and I have to land manually.I`ve tried taking off and turning around and landing and sometimes I don`t even catch the glide slope. I`m at 3500 and 8 miles out and nothing is captured.This looks like a nice plane and I was looking forward to enjoying it as much as I did PIC767 but I`m fast getting to the stage where it will stay in the hangar.Desperate for help.David

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello again David, I can understand your frusrations and must tell you that every thing you mention has to do with proper understanding of a very complex simulation. You know people like Brad Marsh spent years learning what we hope to enjoy in minutes. So have some more patience and we will lend you a hand. For descent there are a couple of things that must be done for your aircraft to perform a descent.1] You must re-set the MCP altitude prior to your Top Of Drop. If you fail to re-set the MCP altitude window the FMC willl give you a reminder @ 5 miles prior to TOD.2] You must have a valid End Of Descent Point for the FMC to calculate a descent profile. This is accomplished by selection of an approach rwy on the FMC. 3] You need ot be aware that VNAV can be tricky at times. VNAV has certain criteria to be able to engage and stay engaged. For your descent in the standard PATH profile VNAV is concerned with one thing only and that is the PATH profile NOT the target descent speed. This is very important because if your aircraft reaches speeds that reach the red warning bricks on the pilt's flight disply VNAV will revert to LVL CH. If on the other hand your speed becomes to slow, the Automatic Flight Direction System will add some thrust to keep you from gettin to slow. In this situation you at times will need ot use the speedbrakes. This is realistic as I can attest on my recent 737 NG flight to LAS ;-). One thing that we as simmer can do that RL pilots cannot is use the PAUSE KEY. At the moment the automatics do not perform in the way you expected simply pause your flight and look carefully at the situation. Write down the CDU messages and take note especialy of the pilto's flight display which will show you what modes the aircraft is currently in. Take your time David, once you have a better understanding of this incredible sim, you will be here giving back to others who were in your very position.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

David, Mr. Brad Marsh is holding a on-line chat tomorrow if you are interested in joining in. In fact Brad holds these get togethers to help folks such as you and I to learn a bit about flying the PMDG like he does in the real world. Details about the meetup can be found here http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...e=&topic_page=3Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |