Sign in to follow this  
Guest daves0

Alaskan Cities

Just downloaded Alaskan cities by Joe Watson but not too thrilled by what I got..Just flat lands...no bldgs, streets, etc. What did I do wrong again...Help! Flying A KGCM

When you say just flat lands, do you mean no textures?.... The best method for installing the scenery is to extract the archive into the FS2002 folder (make sure "use folder names" is checked in Winzip). The files should automatically be placed into the main scenery folder of FS2002. If you want the scenery in its own folder, that is fine--but make sure that folder does not contain a texture folder. Only a scenery folder should be there.... Otherwise, the textures won't display.If you still have a problem, post a small screenshot or two...

Guest daves0

I don't think this is actually a file with buildings and stuff, but more of a landclass type of thing to put some missing towns into the map. The file size is very small to have any textures, objects and stuff...is there a readme file that explains what is actually there ???

Landclass files use the FS2002 default textures to display cities, towns, farmland, etc.... That's why the file size can be kept so small--all the landclass file does is "instruct" FS2002 what textures to use. Thus there are no textures included with the landclass files. If you use the Zipdive option in the file lib, you can see all the cities Joe has included in this update. Improperly installed, landclass files can cause FS2002 to display a blank ground texture. As I noted in my response to the first message, inclusion of a screenshot could help the thread's author explain better what is meant by "flat".

Hi Flying,I had the same problem as you describe because I tried to install the files in the wrong folder. As other posts have said you should unzip the files into your root fs2002 directory. The files will then automatically go into the fs2002/Scenery folder. The files are all .bgl files which always go into scenery folders, none are texture files. There's nothing else for you to do after that other than to enjoy Joe Watson's work.To really enhance the look and feel of the scenery in Alaska, it would help to install Terrain Mesh files of Alaska. The ones I use are produced by Eddie Denney. There are 16 (yes 16) files for Alaska mesh and they ARE well worth the time and effort to download.Hope this helps,Howard

Guest daves0

agreed on the Eddie denney mesh...other than the runways in the air, and trees floating above hills, etc...but it improves the overall look a hundred times over.