Sign in to follow this  
Guest steve james

a few newbie questions

Guest steve james

HiI am using FS2K2, WIN XP Home, PMDG 737-600/700 base packWhere are the main gear bay doors ?I have assigned concorde nose extend/retract as stated in the manual and (in stairs models)the stairs do extend but will not retract ?Can the FMC not load an FS2K2 flight plan, the PSS FMC can ?In CMD mode when using V/S to capture an ALT restriction in the ALT window, upon capture the a/c levels off and ALT HOLD in shown in the PFD but the ALT HOLD light does not light up on the MCP. Should that be the case ?MTIA for any infoSteve

Guest Soulman

Dear Steve,You will find that the 737's do not have main gear bay doors as such.Check out the following pictures.1. http://www.airliners.net/open.file/641960/M/2. http://www.airliners.net/open.file/433967/M/3. http://www.airliners.net/open.file/422022/M/As you can see, the main gear simply retracts neatly into the fuselage. From directly below it looks like a set of eyes gazing at you through the binoculars.With regard to control assignments for stair extension/retraction, make sure you assign a seperate control for each operation. Eg. F9 for Nose extend (Stair Extend) and F10 for Nose retract (Stair retraction). Apologies if you have already done this, I'm not sure what else to suggest.From memory (my computer is packed away whilst I study for upcoming exams :( ), the PMDG FMC does not load FS2k2 flight plans. I have found the best way to get flight plans is to go to http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ , fill in the appropriate boxes, find the route and copy the summary at the bottom. For example: Say I want to take the PMDG Virgin Blue 737 from Melbourne to Sydney. I go to the Routefinder website, type YMML (Melbourne ICAO ID) in the Starting Fix box, followed by YSSY (Sydney ICAO ID) in the Ending Fix box. In the enroute altitude boxes I enter FL290 and FL390 (RVSM, since the approximate heading is North East). I set the level to High. I then check the Use SID and Use STAR boxes, uncheck the ease transitions (predominantly used on long-haul), check RNAV equipped, uncheck TACAN routes (military navigation), leave NAT's disabled (North Atlantic Tracks - you might cross the Atlantic in your 737 one day!) The restriction warnings apply to NAT's so I only use them when necessary. Next I click 'Find Route' and I am given the calculated route. It shows the flight as 383.5nm. I am to fly a DOSEL SID, then via waypoints EBONY, ARRAN, NONUP, CULIN, TARAL and finally a RIVET STAR to land at YSSY.Below this flight data you will find the most applicable thing to the PMDG FMC. It states:YMML SID DOSEL Y59 RIVET STAR YSSYWhich translates to: Depart Melbourne via a DOSEL SID, join the Y59 airway to RIVET where you take a RIVET STAR to land at Sydney.I have actually cross checked several Virgin Blue flight plans with the ones reproduced on this website and they are correct.As for the ALT HOLD light in your MCP, yes it is acting correctly. From my 737 Operations Manual:Altitude Hold Command ModeALT HOLD mode commands pitch to hold either:* MCP selected altitude pitch mode annunciates ALT HOLD ALT HOLD switch light extinguishesBasically, once the A/P has captured the MCP ALT, you will see ALT HOLD in the PFD and the ALT HOLD light will extinguish UNTIL you select a new MCP altitude, which will in turn, arm V/S mode. Remember that LVL CHG, V/S and VNAV are all inoperative until you select a new altitude in the MCP. (ALT HOLD mode is also inhibited after glideslope capture from memory too)Hope this clears things up for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I am more than willing to offer you any more help - should you need it.Let me know how you get on.Enjoy the 737 - it really is a fantastic creation!Jeremy.

In CMD mode when using V/S to capture an ALT restriction in the ALT window, upon capture the a/c levels off and ALT HOLD in shown in the PFD but the ALT HOLD light does not light up on the MCP. Should that be the case ? Further upon this little trivia, one always looks at the PFD for mode engagement. As was already mentioned, the light goes out. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/93386.jpgBest Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest steve james

HiThanks to you both for your help.I see what you mean about gear doors, I am most suprised.It seems the AFDS is a little different to the B757 & B777 which I have used in the past.Just one question on the flight planning, can these plans from the internet be uploaded to the FMC or do you still have to do this manually.CheersSteve

Guest Soulman

Steve,You will also be surprised to hear that when the NG and 777's were in the early stages of development, Boeing did consider the option of making the flight decks so common that one could be type-rated to fly both. i.e fly a 737NG on Monday and then the Triple 7 on Tuesday.The AFDS on the 777 is still remarkably similar to that of a 737NG and a 747-400. Apart from the placement of several buttons, (i.e. LNAV and VNAV on the 777 are on top of each other, whereas in the NG they are placed differently.), the two flight decks still have strong MCP similarities.Sadly, you cannot import the route from the website directly to your FMC, but it is much easier to punch in Y59 -> RIVET than to individually enter EBONY ARRAN NONUP CULIN TARAL RIVET.And yes, the gear door (or lack thereof) is interesting, but like I said - it does look good!Again, hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any more probs.