Sign in to follow this  
Guest ATCguy

Adding the "soft" to my altitude constraints

Guest ATCguy

Hello,I have searched this question before posting. I wish to add soft constraints to my existing SIDSTAR files. I understand that "A" and "B" are used, but where do I write that into the code? Here is an example of my "hard" procedure. I need to know where the A's and B's get inserted.TRANSITION YKA NAVAID YKA FIX TOSUS 7800 SPEED 200Would I put an "A" immediately following the "7800" so that it would read "cross TOSUS at or above 7800"?Roger P.

Guest captbulldog 2

Put in 7800A on the LEGS page.

Guest ATCguy

I see, thank you. Can I not write soft altitude constraints within the actual SIDSTAR file?Roger P.

Hi RogerYes, you can write soft constraints in the procedure file. In this case this will be: NAVAID TOSUS AT OR ABOVE 7800. I suggest that you download Terry Yingling's latest tutorial from the library for further reading on procedure file writing.Remember that if you don't have the -800/900 upgrade installed, soft constraints will be ignored. You can still use the procedures as normal, but any altitude restrictions have to be entered(IF needed) manually in the FMC as a hard conctraint. It's not always a good solution to write a "soft constraint" as a "hard constraint". If you still are within the criteria for the soft constr.(ex. AT OR ABOVE.. ), let the FMC calculate the path instead of writing a hard constraint, and leave out the "hard". Too many hard constraint close to each other may also lead to a VNAV DISCONNECT.