Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain williams

737 approach methodology - manual or tutorial??

Guest iain williams

Hello:Can someone confirm which is the

Iain,From a 737-700 Flight Crew Training Manual.-At glide slope "alive", call "gear down". "flaps 15." Arm speed brake and check green light illuminated. Call "landing landing checklist down to the flaps."-At glide slope capture, verify proper mode FMA mode annunciation, check N1 reference bug at the go-around limit and set missed approach altitude in the MCP altitude window. Call "flaps _______" as required for landing. Set the MCP speed selector at VREF plus 5.Floyd

Guest GabrielR

In regards only to speed management, This is how I do it:Prior to TOD:1. Do the Approach Briefing:Check the STAR ANd the IAP and set restrictions on the descent accordingly. Revise the field Altimeter setting, Airport elevation, runways length and width and weather condition. check notams for the airfield.When Reaching the Transition Altitude:1. Set Field Altimeter2. Revise VREF, take note.3. Plan to slow down to 250 Knts before 10,000Crossing 10,000 Feet1. Turn Landing Lights on Crossing 6,000 Feet (Usually initiating the Downwind portion of the pattern)1. Speed 210 knots/ Flaps 1Turning onto base (usually short after crosing the 4,000 Feet)1. Speed 190 Knots/Flaps 5 (I skip Flaps 2 and go to 5, I think is a common procedure --)Stablished on Base (You should be 3000' or less by then)1. Speed 180 Knots/Flaps 102. Arm LocalizerLocalizer captured (You should be Bellow the Glide Slope Here)1. Arm APPROACHTwo Dots Below GS1. Speed 170/Flaps 15One Dot Below GS1. Gear DownOn GS Capture:1. Speed VREF + 52. As the speed gets to 150 Select FLAPS 253. As the speed gets to 140 Select Flaps 304. Select GA AltitudeThings tend to happen very fast between the capturing the Localizer and Starting the GS Descent... Plan Ahead.

Guest _sebastian_

>Hello:>>Can someone confirm which is the

Guest tmetzinger

>Hello:>>Can someone confirm which is the

Guest iain williams

Many thanks for clearing this up for me. I often wondered why there were so many variants in landing approach. Sebastian, thanks for taking the time to write down your methodology, which actually is very similar to what I have been using when flying the 737.Take care and thanks again.................Iain