Sign in to follow this  
Guest rich1241

Introductory Flight

Guest rich1241

Hiya everyone,I have just bought PMDG 737-600/700 for my computer. I love the aircraft and the liviries are superb!!! I just can't wait to get to the tope of the learning curve!Anyway, i attempted to do the introductory flight, however, after i had took off, i pressed autopilot, LNAV + VNAV and then waited for my aircraft to follow the route. I tried this flight several times, following the instructions correctly but the aircraft did not follow the route + it also climbed past 10,000 feet.Am i doing something wrong? I have read the instructions for thsi flight over and over again and yet the aircraft still performs in this manner. Why?Thanks very much in advance for answering my questions,Richard.PS - Can't wait to be flying properly in my new 737!

Guest ZOTAN

Do you have the flight director on? You should first engage LNAV, followed by VNAV, and lastly Autopilot A. On the MCP panel set your cruise altitude, and make sure your cruise altitude is also set in your FMC.I think there is a tutorial that comes with the plane. Look for that in the documents that came with it.Matt

Guest rich1241

Yes the flight director is on. However in the manual it says switch the autopilot on FIRST, then LNAV + VNAV.Do you think this is the problem?

Guest glenb

I think the top of the learning curve is somewhere half way to the moon. This product has so much good stuff (stuff?) there is always something to learn. Even the real life pilots of the 737 comment on the detail of the systems.You might try going to Brad Marsh

Hi Richard,No. The manual is correct. You have to engage the autopilot before pressing the LNAV or VNAV. Usually the autopilot is engaged when passing 1000ft above ground level or AGL. Then you can press the LNAV. When passing 3000ft, you press the VNAV. Even if you pressed the LNAV and VNAV at 1000ft, the FMC will take control. Did you enter into the FMC the SIDs, the routes, and STARs? You said it passed 10,000ft. What altitude did you enter into the MCP and the FMC? Hope this helps.Ken.

Guest ZOTAN

Are you sure the autopilot has to be engaged before entering LNAV and VNAV? I always thought that the pitch and roll modes were turned on before the autopilot.Matt

Guest Knikolaes

>Hi Richard,>No. The manual is correct. You have to engage the autopilot>before pressing the LNAV or VNAV. Usually the autopilot is>engaged when passing 1000ft above ground level or AGL. Then>you can press the LNAV. When passing 3000ft, you press the>VNAV. Even if you pressed the LNAV and VNAV at 1000ft, the FMC>will take control. Did you enter into the FMC the SIDs, the>routes, and STARs? You said it passed 10,000ft. What altitude>did you enter into the MCP and the FMC? Hope this helps.>>Ken.Just to emphasize on this . . . you can do it either way actually.A lot of airlines actually have procedures where the AP cannot be turned on until "x" altitude or pahse of flight, so pilots will turn on the LNAV and VNAV before the AP itself, so they are still hand flying the plane but following the directions from the flight director's cue on the screen.This is done in 737's as well, but if you have the great 767 video for Leisure Intl from ITVV, you'll see what I mean. It may be a 767, but I have 737 videos here as well and the pilots do the same thing, so i started doing this as well with the PMDG craft.Yes it works for me every time. I hand fly until I get to above 10,000 feet, then switch on the AP and let her have control. So, no, you do not HAVE to have the AP on before LNAV and VNAV.

Guest dt1951

Ensure that you have selected your first waypoint in the FMC. After takeoff and you are stabilized on your climb, open the FMS, go to the LEGS page, press the left LSK next to the first waypoint that you want to go to, press the top LSK (usually your first waypoint) again, press "EXECUTE", then press LNAV on the autopilot page.Dan Ward

Are you sure the autopilot has to be engaged before entering LNAV and VNAV? I always thought that the pitch and roll modes were turned on before the autopilot.MattHi Mat,Yes, you're correct. It's better to turn on the pitch and roll modes first before engaging the autopilot.

Hi all,Yes, you're correct Christopher. You don't have to engage the autopilot before pressing LNAV and VNAV but you'll have to hand fly it by following the directions from the flight director on the PFD. Like you said, it can be done either way. Some pilots don't engage the autopilot until reaching 10,000 feet. Actually, what I meant was that the FMC won't take over until the autopilot command is engaged, since Richard said that he engaged the autopilot, LVAN, and VNAV and watch for the aircraft to follow the route. I should have specified that and I was about to fall asleep too. I usually engage the autopilot after reaching 1,000 feet AGL. If you wait until reaching 10,000 feet before engaging the autopilot, you can press the LNAV and VNAV and follow the flight director bar. But before the FMC takes over, the autopilot must be engaged, otherwise, you'll have to follow LNAV amd VNAV manually. I've tried hand flying it to 10,000 feet and works real good for me. Ken.