Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marli

Climb problem with Tim Metzinger's Advanced Operation V2

Guest Marli

I am having a problem with Tim Metzinger's Advanced Operation V2 tutorial. I am on lesson 2 and i have set everything properly on the overhead and have set up on the runway. I increase the throttles to 40% then click TOGA. at V2 I rotate. I put gear up at pos. rate of climb. At 400ft I select HDG as roll mode and set MCP to V2+20. Then at 800ft I put MCP speed to 225 and retract flaps at schedule. SPD mode and HDG mode is selected at this point. Then at 1000ft I engage CMD A. After this the 737 never levels off at 1500. It just carrys on going up. Even if as I pass 1500 I set altitude level to 2500 and press LVL CHG but it still doesnt level off at 2500. It does up really steeply then starts going down and it just goes all wrongs from there. I have tried about 10 times and cant do it. I think it might be something to do with speed from what i've read in the other forums. Any help would be much apprechiated.ThanksLuke(I sent this post in the other V2 tutorial topic but i thought since it is so long and is mostly for requests, most people wont look at that)

Hi Marli,You said you rotate at V2. Did you mean Vr? You rotate at Vr and climb out at V2+20 knots. Before you advance the throttles, enter your V2 speed into the speed of the MCP. Do not enter V2+20 knots into the MCP. Just enter the V2 speed, either from the FMC or the take-off speed chart. When you rotate at Vr and you establish positive rate of climb, you follow the flight director bar on the PFD. Be sure the flight director is on. When the bar is aligned, you will be at V2+20 knots. When you select speed mode, you'll noticed that the speed will be V2+20 knots without you having to dial it in. I haven't performed lesson 2 yet. When you say the 737 never leveled off at 1,500ft, did you mean 1,500ft or 15,000ft? Did you enter the correct altitude into the altitude area of the MCP? One thousand five hundred feet is a low altitude to level at when departing an airport. What's the field elevation of the airport you're departing from? If I have time, I'll try this lesson and see what happens. Ken.

Guest Marli

I meant rotate at Vr like you said. The 1500ft is correct and the cruising altitude is 2500ft because this lesson is only a short flight. Also the FMC is not used in this lesson. I will try the other recomendations you gave me. Thanks.Luke

Guest Marli

I tried what you said and i was able 2 follow the Flight Director accuratly and my speed was good...until I activate the autopilot CMD A at 1000ft. After this point the vertical mode becomes automatic and the plane carries on going up after 1500ft (MCP altitude set to 1500ft). When I level off at 1500ft I am supposed to change MCP altitude to 2500ft and press LVL CHG but I never level out and even if i do all that as I pass 1500ft it doesnt level out at 2500ft (cruise alitude). I think it must be a problem with autopilot settings becuase these problems only occur after I activate autopilot. Also it doesnt seem to follow the FD when in autopilot mode. I tried doing the whole pilot manually without activaing CMD A and by following the FD I was able to navigate well. I searched the forums and i found someone who had sort of the same problem with me, the autopilot was not following the FD vertically. Eventually he re-installed the PMDG and it worked. I dont really want to go to that length. If there is another way to sort it out it would be much better. Any help would be much apprechiated.Luke

Guest Marli

I sorted out the problem. The FSUIPC module was causing the problem. It all works perfectly now. Thanks anyway.Luke

Hi Luke,I'm glad to hear that you found the source of the problem. I should have mentioned it but didn't think about it. It must have been corruped or was missing. At one time, mine was missing and the PMDG 737NG would not load. Yes, it requires the module. Ken.