Sign in to follow this  

Power Patch for FS2K2? Is it possible?

From the posts in here, I gathered that FS2K2 uses roughly 200 megs of the available ram. I was just wondering, since quite a few of us seem to have 512 Megs or more, if a patch could be implemented to use ram beyond the 200 or so of the present limitation, thus eliminating the stutters and the blurs completely.Any thoughts, specially from those programmers out there?Abe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Probably doesn't *need* more than 200mb in any single situation. Besides, to implement this via a third party would take some doing.I and others have experimented by using RAM drives and the like (one I used, called VRAMDIR, was a RAM folder system) so that you could pre-load textures etc into RAM first, so FS read this from one area of RAM to another (for use) instead of from HDD to RAM. Results were mixed, but this never makes blurring go away, but speeds up load times a little. I found it did help a bit in the stutter dept. though on FS98 and X-Plane, but haven't tried it since on any other MSFS.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

I think the reason fs2002 goes jerky is really this:I noticed this when painting aircraft when doing it i could change a texture on maby the tail then switch plane to another then switch it back and the change i had made shows up.Then the next time i install flight sim the only way my changes to textures show up is if i exit fs then restart it .So this means that now all the textures are kept in the memory as you come accross them so if you go to a big airport then all these liverys are kept in memory even after you leave and go somewhere else and also if you change your aircraft so after awhile it get more and more lower frame rates .there must be a setting in a place somewhere that make memory keep these textures even if you do not need them anymore?If you could clear the memory after the texture is not neeeded anymore then fs would be SO fast.you can see this if you select one plane and fly where there are no other aircrafts but if you look at lots of diferant ones in the select aircraft menu then it is slower .this is why i think it is slow sometimes .Alpha xxxxxxxxxxxxxI hope this makes sence as explaining is not my best thing :)

I wonder if the 'instant replay' option may be sucking up some memory. I don't know if there is a limit on how long a flight you can replay, but I haven't found it yet. It must store these somewhere... If you could turn off that option... who knows ??Just a thought..Bob

It's funny you brought this up--I've been playing around with repaints of older, FS98/FS2000 GA aircraft. I've noticed the same thing...textures seem to be stored in memory to a certain degree. When I repaint an aircraft, I usually have to load 1-3 other aircraft before the textures refresh themselves and I can see the results of my work.-John

Exactly this is how mine was !Now i can load any amount of aircraft and still it shows before i made the changes aircraft ,so i have to exit then restart flightsim to see the change to my texture .Is it something like where the AI textures were also stored in the main texture folder?I bet there is a way to make flight sim way faster also as was mentioned the replay feature must take many resources although i never used it :)Alpha xxxxxxxxxxxxx