Sign in to follow this  
Guest LO006

Which Card

Guest LO006

Alright well I'm stuck between 3 companys for the 6800GT. I have two questions.1. If I get say a XFX 6800GT can I install the drivers from the Nvidia site and will those work or do I have to download them from the XFX site.2. Which one would you recommend. A friend of mine said he would get the Elsa one and I would want to get the XFX one. Here are the three that I have chosen:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814119144http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150102http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814133116Thanks

Guest aarskringspier

XFX makes a nice card, I have a 6800ULTRA on the other machine from them and it has been great. if you want a card that delivers as much performance (More in some cases) for a bit lower price grab you a ATI X800XL. Im neither a ATI guy or nVidia as I have both. And yes, the drivers from nVidia will work, I would suiggest getting driver cleaner pro, freeware utility to get rid of anything left behind from your previous driver uninstall.

Guest Robin.B

They're all known brands, all have the same, stock Nvidia cooling...Go with the cheapest ;)And yes you will be able to use drivers from Nvidia's website, and you'll also be able to use customized and tweaked drivers like the Omegas...

Guest LO006

Ok I guess Ill buy the Elsa one since i get more for the same price. Reason I chose Nvidia over ATI is because from what i heard most people are getting better performance out of the 6800GT then the X800 in FS... and i'm a nvidia guy myself. ;-)Thanks for recommending that Driver cleaner program. Ill definatly use it when i get my new card.

Guest aarskringspier

6800GT is a nice card, youre not hurting yourself at all. Some people dont read up just go buy something right off the shelf. I have the X800XL in my wifes PC simply because it is the best bang for the buck card out there right now. Enjoy your new card!!

I've got an Asus EN6800 Ultra at home and a Gigabyte 6800GT in my work pc. Both run perfectly well. I generally use drivers from www.guru3d.com (77.72 WHQL at the moment - I had problems with the 80.40 beta). Check out www.tomshardware.com for reviews. Normally, the main differences between the cards will be the heatsink and cooling fan - or fans- as well as the overclocking software. Having looked at the pics, I see here that the cooling on each is identical. Compare my Gigabyte card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814125185I'm a bit coy about overclocking, but my Asus card came with a program that automatically overclocks - to varying degrees - whilst running 3d apps. Seems to run fine.There's no need to limit yourself to drivers provided by the card manufacturer - the nvidia chipset is the same, regardless of who makes the card.regards,Jeff

Jeff Hunter

Guest Buck Bolduc

Be a bit carfull. I have a NVidia GT-6800NX from MSI. They allso offerd a cheaper version without the NX designation. It did not have the same GPU and other enhancements, I forget to be honest what the other consisted of exactly. I do not know if others offered the non NX version. All I know is if it doesn't say NX after GT-6800, well, you get what you pay for.Regards