Sign in to follow this  
Guest flybywr

Engine start using PW-4056

Guest flybywr

Hello,I was wondering about the start procedure located on page 109 of the PDF manual. Having flown the A-320 for 10 years I am familiar with FADEC (Fully Automated Digital Electtronic Control) systems and the differences of an EEC system. I am currently flying the 744 which has the EEC (Electronic Engine Control) system. At our airline we have the PW-4056 engines and do not have an auto start capability described in the manual. We pull the ENGINE START SWITCH located on the overhead panel to begin the start sequence. This opens the START VALVE and the ENGINE BLEED AIR VALVE. Both must be open for the starter to engage the N2 section. The "light" on the start switch turns "on" when the START VALVE is open. When maximum motoring or about 25% N2 or so is reached the FUEL CONTROL SWITCH is moved to RUN supplying fuel from the spar and engine fuel valves and since igition is being applied "light off" occurs starting the engine. At 50% N2 starter cutout automatically occurs and the START SWITCH returns to the "in" position and the Start light extinguishes and ignition discontinues.It is possible of course that I am not aware of a more advanced system but at NWA and United we do not have them. I only hope to add a bit of information and am eager to make the purchase of this product. Please don't flame me if I have made a mistake or a fool of myself concerning your auto start procedure...I only hope to ADD something in a humble way to your wonderful group here on the forum.

Guest flybywr

Ummmm...nobody interested?

Guest ha5mvo

>Ummmm...nobody interested? interested? sure!its just that nobody knows probably....//Michael

Hi flybywr,I think the procedure for AUTOSTART is:Press the AUTOSTART switch.Then pull the engine START SWITCH to "arm" the autostart sequence.AUTOSTART initiates when you now pull the FUEL CONTROL SWITCH to RUN.The EEC will monitor all related parameters and the START SWITCH will return to IN at 50% N2.Hope that helps!Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest flybywr

Hello,That is the question...is there autostart? This is not a FADEC system...it has EEC's. The Airbus has the capability but not the 744 as far as NWA or United is concerned. I have never heard or seen this capability on any Boeing 747-400 at least in my experience flying the line...but it may be out there...maybe it is an option but for acuracy sake I just wanted clarification concerning this. I will be in Seattle next week with the family for Sea Fair and we may go for a tour of the Boeing plant...I guess I could ask them?Kindly,flyby

Guest AJ

I am sure that as soon as someone from PMDG has time (guess they are pretty busy right now), they will enlighten us. I don't know if it is a matter of engine type or customer option. However, I have definitely seen video footage of a 744 autostart. To start engines 1 and 2, they began with the fuel control switches set to run. The FO reached up to the overhead panel and activated the starters to the respective engines while the Captain held his fingers over the fuel control switches, presumably in case there was a fire and he needed to imediately shut them down.Andrew