Sign in to follow this  
Guest richjb

Flight Controller used to test PMDG products

Guest richjb

Hello,I know with B744 about to come out, you're quite busy, but would please answer a quick question for me? What type of flight controller(s) were used in the developement of PMDG products?I ask this because I use the PFC Jet Yoke and after much fustration with the slow response by the B737, I finally went into the flight tuning with TweakFS and adjusted the elevator & aileron effectiveness by a factor of 1.50. After I did this, I get what I perceive as adequate roll and pitch authority in the approach speed range, i.e. 180 kts down to Vref.I understand that the B737 is no figher aircraft, but I was having to use full control travel to get even a moderate roll rate. So this raises the question of whether a heavy, dampened yoke like the PFC product provides a little less response per control input than say the CH Flight Yoke. Any opinions?Any chance you could provide a base-line roll and pitch rate at clean maneuvering speed to allow fine tuning of controllers to match the expected programing? I know it's asking alot, but it would help given the number of different controllers on the market.As for the FS9 slider values, they are at the full high position. FSUPIC outputs are all in the 16,000 range for both pitch & roll. The manuals for B744 look really good. I can't wait!Thanks for your help.Richard BollWichita KansasP.S. Glad to see Marc Brodbeck is involved!

Guest Ross

>Hello,>>I know with B744 about to come out, you're quite busy, but>would please answer a quick question for me? What type of>flight controller(s) were used in the developement of PMDG>products?>>I ask this because I use the PFC Jet Yoke and after much>fustration with the slow response by the B737, I finally went>into the flight tuning with TweakFS and adjusted the elevator>& aileron effectiveness by a factor of 1.50. After I did>this, I get what I perceive as adequate roll and pitch>authority in the approach speed range, i.e. 180 kts down to>Vref.>>I understand that the B737 is no figher aircraft, but I was>having to use full control travel to get even a moderate roll>rate. So this raises the question of whether a heavy,>dampened yoke like the PFC product provides a little less>response per control input than say the CH Flight Yoke. Any>opinions?>>Any chance you could provide a base-line roll and pitch rate>at clean maneuvering speed to allow fine tuning of controllers>to match the expected programing? I know it's asking alot,>but it would help given the number of different controllers on>the market.>>As for the FS9 slider values, they are at the full high>position. FSUPIC outputs are all in the 16,000 range for both>pitch & roll. >>The manuals for B744 look really good. I can't wait!>>Thanks for your help.>>Richard Boll>Wichita Kansas>>P.S. Glad to see Marc Brodbeck is involved!Richard,The behaviour you talk of on the 737 sounds normal to me. When at low speed/high drag, the aircraft requires a lot of control input to get decent roll rates. In approach configuration, the 737 definitely isn't the most spritely of passenger transport aircraft.

Guest richjb

I noticed when watching videos of B737 pilots flying on approach that there is quite a bit of yoke movement taking place. If I did the same thing in my Falcon 2000, I'd be bopping heads up against the side walls. I guess that's the benefit of hydraulic controls. The Lear 45 is a much heavier aircraft with slower control response. I haven't had the chance to fly a Boeing aircraft.I still wonder if my PFC yoke is just plain slower to respond than the CH yoke. I've noticed this characteristic in other add-on's to MSFS and with other flight simulator programs as well, such as PS1 and Elite. Based on your experience, what should the roll rate be from say 30 degrees left bank to 20 degrees right bank when using full control deflection?Thanks for taking the time to help answer this question!Rich

Because of the fact that most people have small joysticks (I have a Saitek Cyborg 3D for instance), it was decided that the roll authority should not be so twitchy as to make the plane seem like an F-16. In the real airplane, maximum yoke deflection will produce a pretty fast roll rate - however, the 747's control system produces artificial resistance that is quite substantial when doing that. Since the average simmer's joystick does not create 40lbs of resistance pressure when commanding full deflection (more like .40 lbs lol!), the roll rate is probably a bit dampened from what you'd see in the real plane if you muscled the yoke. This was discussed and the real pilots on the team agreeed that it would probably be way too sensitive on a regular joystick. In essence, what you're going to see in the product when it comes out will feel right for home FS use in that you're not going to flip the plane on its back instantly from a small movement of a regular PC joystick.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com