Sign in to follow this  
Guest dswo

B1900C texture loading

Guest dswo

I just got the B1900C and D. Flying the B1900C from the VC, I notice a couple of things. One, VC textures take a long time to load (minor). Two, exterior landscape tiles REALLY take a long time to load (major). This results in views like the attached screenshot.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/132835.jpgAny suggestions? I have 1 gig of RAM and a Radeon 9100 with 128Mb RAM. Yes, I know the video card is a dog, but I'm stuck with PCI. Have had FS9 for close to two years and haven't had this problem with other payware planes (e.g., Marchetti SF.260, most of Bill Lyons).Have no objections to shrinking the aircraft's texture files if someone can give me a hint on what/how. Thanks in advance.

Guest tmetzinger

>Any suggestions? I have 1 gig of RAM and a Radeon 9100 with>128Mb RAM. Yes, I know the video card is a dog, but I'm stuck>with PCI. Have had FS9 for close to two years and haven't had>this problem with other payware planes (e.g., Marchetti>SF.260, most of Bill Lyons).>>Have no objections to shrinking the aircraft's texture files>if someone can give me a hint on what/how. Thanks in advance.For what it's worth, I have the same problem and I've got an ATI Radeon X850 256MB AGP 8x card, with a 3.2 GHz P4 and 2 GB RAM. Do you have any Reality XP gauges? I have them in the D and have the problem - haven't flown the C in a while so don't know if that's the issue.Don't have the problem in ANY other aircraft either, including the NG.

Guest dswo

Screenshot is from the C; no Reality XP gauges in use.

Guest tmetzinger

>I had the same problem with the 1900D. Changing the planes>textures to DXT3 did the trick for me, both with the VC and>scenery. I am still using an old AMD 2600, 1G RAM and a NVidia>5700 AGP 128Mb video card.>>BradAny helpful hints on how to change the textures to DXT3? I've got the imagetool from ASV, that might do the trick.

Guest dswo

1. For converting textures to DXT3, make a backup copy of the texture folder you want to convert. Now, copy imagetool.exe into the texture folder to be converted (not the backup). Open a DOS window and navigate to this folder. When you're there, type "imagetool -dxt3 -nomip *.bmp" without the " marks and hit return. This should do the whole batch.2. This didn't help me at all. It did get the texture size down, but I still had the unfilled polygons in my scenery. Also, AI planes had no texture, just gray models. Switching to spot view and then back to VC would fix this temporarily, but pretty soon I'd start seeing gray and brown again. 3. I decided to try the 1900D; no problem there. Back to the 1900C: grey and brown patches. What's the difference here? New gauges! In display options, I switched VC gauge quality from high to low. Problem fixed! 4. Only now my gauges look worse than the default... I've never had a plane where this one switch made so much difference, not on framerates but on texture loading. Have the RealAir Marchetti SF.260 with super-smooth gauges and never had a problem like this.Any suggestions for fixing this WITHOUT degrading the C's nice custom gauge set -- esp. since this seems to be one of the C's main selling points.

Guest dswo

After a lot of experimenting, I found a fix. In your fs9.cfg file, there is a line that begins TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT. The default value is 40. Setting this to 300 (or even 200) fixed the problem for me.