Sign in to follow this  

NOOOOO!!! Out of memory error after the patch

Well I don't know what to say, is it my system? I got an out of memory error on approach to Simflyers KLAX from KSFO. Not even an hour flight.What is going on here???

my virtual memory settings were 4096 min and max on a separate partition.I will try other options but this is really disappointing, the thought of reinstalling to try to see if the problem goes away is horrifying beacuse of all the addons I have

Alex-There are a MASSIVE number of thigns that can cause this condition- and all of them are related to your sim setup and/or your local machine.When we first saw reports of this, many were quick to accuse the -400 of memory leaks, and the like- although none of these suggestions panned out.We conducted a heavy amount of research into this problem, only to learn that it is not unique to any PMDG product, but also occurs with many other leading addon aircraft. Generally the more intensive airplane simulations will tend to experience this on machines/setups that are prone to it.Here are some things that we found to be true and/or common to users who reported "Out of Memory" errors in the past few months:1) Improperly installed/designed scenery that had empty /texture folders. (This is a known problem with FS...but some designers still make this mistake....)2) Users running a significant amount of high profile software simultaneous to using FS. (Norton A/V was a prime offender- but not the only one by any means.... Unified Messenger Services, anti-viral, PC "health maintenance" software, etc- all take a toll on your machine's memory usage and when operated in conjunction with FS9 can create a situation where the airplane's requirements combined with custom scenery requirements can cause problems.3) We have had some very convincing reports that users who have heavily fragmented hard drives are VERY prone to this problem.4) Users who are running out of disk space and/or the disk space available for the page-file (virtual memory) is low.After researching these reports under the assumption that our software was causing this problem, we came to the conclusion that in nearly all cases it was a health/maintenance problem on the user machines.... Unfortunately- most of us don't maintain our PC's very well- and when a program like FS9 starts putting HEAVY demands on the PC- it can come back to haunt....I wish I had an easier "here just do X" solution for you- but i don't...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thank you for the quick reply.I work in the IT industry so I keep my computer clean, I close any program I don't need such as pc-cillin before starting the game. I also use msconfig to get rid of any program that wants to start itself automatically.I went through my install, and although I have a ton of add on scenery, I can't seem to find any empty folders. I have ran flight sim manager and have no landclass files in scenery folders with texture folders in the same location.I have gigs of space left on my drives with flight sim being on a separate partition from windows XP, and the page file being on a separate partition as well running a fat32 file system, as I was reading that is the best way to set that up.I will continue to look for bad sceneries and empty texture folders but I am really disappointed, I don't blame your software but are you sure there aren't any strange conflicts with addon scenery such as simflyers or 100% traffic?

Hello.I second what Alex wrote.I did a flight from EGLL to VHHH with the new version (1.10). The total time session in FS was about 7 hours as I compressed the sim rate sometimes. I landed at VHHH, paused, watched the replay. Taxied again to the gate.After shutdown the engines, the infamous message appeared. 'You have runned out of memory....' :(Here's what I have installed:-FS9.1-Heathrow Pro (last version, I think 2.1)-Freeware scenery of Hong Kong by Thomas Kwong - vhhh2005b.zip (no empty texture folders, no empty scenery folders, no landclass)-ActiveSky EnhancedThe rest is stock scenery. I do not have anymore add-ons installed beside the PMDG 744.I allways shutdown all McAfee programs running in background. I use msconfig to uncheck other undisired background programs. When the message appeared I noticed that my desktop image was gone.My system:Motherboard ASUS P5WD2 Premium CPU P4 650 3.4GHz emt64XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX 256Mb2Gb DDR2 RAM 533Mhz160Gb SATA HDWatercooling: Coolermaster Aquagate liquid cooling systemPlease, would appreciate some help because Flight Simulator without PMDG744 longhauls is nothing. ;( Tanks in advance and best regards.P.S.- my virtual memory is managed by the system.Pedro LimaPortugal

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

I too am running active sky V, is there a conflict possibly?I also have a fast system, AMD FX-55, 1 gb ddr-4000 ram, ati x850, epox ultra3 motherboard, etc.I will try other virtual memory settings, such as no page file, system managed, etc.I had it set at 4096, the maximum it can go, for min and max, I will try different numbers too, but there must be some conflict issue. How am I not seeing this with anything else? And when I fly with other airplanes, I can at least get in over an hour before something happens, it seems like approaching a big city causes some memory error or texture problem and a .dll crash with this airplane and that has caused other airplanes to be problematic as well.Looks like I will go back to props for a bit until this problem is found to be either my fault or the airplane :(Just for kicks this weekend I will try the same flight in the Level-D, although I have seen this before in other aircraft, it never happened until the PMDG 744 was installed. I use to be able to fly RJAA-KLAX, RKSI-KORD, etc. in the excellent Ready for Pushback 742 with only framerate hits after long flights. now I can't even get past an hour????This game is so annoying sometimes!

Gents,In addition to what Rob mentioned above CHECK the integrity of YOUR MEMORY dims ! There are several utilities for that.Randy Sawford that frequents this forum had exactly the same problem and solved it by finally checking his memory modules. There was a faulty one and Windows still used it (or better tried to use it).The 747 is under no circumstances responsible for memory leaks. out of memory messages etc. However, it is a massive simulator on-top-of-a-simulator sort of add on and if you have PC/hardware problems they will surface much faster. Hope you all solve these problems as soon as possible.Best,Vangelis===================================== E. M. Vaos Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Gents,>>In addition to what Rob mentioned above CHECK the integrity of>YOUR MEMORY dims ! There are several utilities for that.>>Randy Sawford that frequents this forum had exactly the same>problem and solved it by finally checking his memory modules.>There was a faulty one and Windows still used it (or better>tried to use it).>>The 747 is under no circumstances responsible for memory>leaks. out of memory messages etc. However, it is a massive>simulator on-top-of-a-simulator sort of add on and if you have>PC/hardware problems they will surface much faster. Hope you>all solve these problems as soon as possible.>>Best,>>Vangelis>>=====================================> E. M. Vaos> Precision Manuals Development Group> www.precisionmanuals.com>=====================================VangelisFWIW, I have used Avast antivirus for a few years now. It updates itself WHILE flying the Queen from time to time. A little blue window pop's up in the lower right corner of the screen informing me of the update in progress, then goes away. No effect on the flight whatso ever. Checks your email for viusus too.Another of my favorites is SpyWare Blocker, prevents spyware from getting on your system if you keep it updated!A CLEAN machine is a MEAN machine, OK, just made that up but it's true.Cheap memory modules will usually work fine in non-intentsive applications. I agree, with you WRT memory for high end app's. You need high performance memory when your pushing your hardare to it's max.This is not to say a high end mudule cannot go bad from time to time.Great job on the update!Regards

I have a high end crutial ddr-4000 1gb chip. Could it be going bad? Possibly? Could it be causing the crash ONLY with the PMDG airplane? Why?

Alex,There is no "ONLY the PMDG airplane". I am quite adamant about that. It is just the ONLY plane that you own, being as sophisticated as it is, and using as many resources as required to make a problem surface. I would search for posts by Randy Sawford who had exactly the same problem like you and yes intitially (just like you) he went on about the ONLY plane that causes this problem etc etc (just like you :)) until at some point he accidentally discovered the real problem, which in his case was a faulty memory dimm.I hope you resolve this issue very very quickly.===================================== E. M. Vaos Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

Guest fox450

Hey, Alex, why don't you try the same flight, WITHOUT ASV running.I checked my resource utility and it seams ASV uses a lot of resources and it fluctuates quite a lot also....Maybe try a different weather engine, or just use the build in, see if that works...Best of luck,Anthony

Guest Buck Bolduc

>I have a high end crutial ddr-4000 1gb chip. Could it be>going bad? Possibly? Could it be causing the crash ONLY with>the PMDG airplane? Why?Al. I don't doubt you got good memory.I would make sure of other things before buying new memory. Another guy had the same problem as you. I suggested he clean his system of spyware and was instantly lambasted by another poster. The gent with the problem followed my advice and reported back a huge improvement?When I have a machine in my shop it's reletivly easy to isolate hardware or software problems, a lot harder on a forum to help someone out.I would.1: Make sure you have enough extra (unused) space on your HD for virtual memory and let windows manage it.2: Get Ad-Aware and scan your HD for spyware, elimminate it.3: Get SpyWare Blocker and keep it updated, it prevents spyware from getting on in the first place, it works!4: Check your installation and make sure FS9 and all addons are installed in their default folders.5: If the above fails get memtest86 and create the boot disk as per the instructions and run it overnight.In my experiance Avast anti virus works the best, AVG has some problems.Best

>Gents,>>In addition to what Rob mentioned above CHECK the integrity of>YOUR MEMORY dims ! There are several utilities for that.>I bought my new system 2 weeks ago, and I dont want to believe that I am getting memory problems already! See, I invested almost 500 euros only in 2 modules of memory. The system was tested day and night before I bring it to home. I run other intense applications like autocad 3D and audesk viz 3D. I'm doing a part of a city totally in 3D (architecture project) and the system never complains, neither about the CPU, memory, or CTD errors. I tested all the latest benchmarks and games to the limits. Sadly I must say that only with PMDG744 I have tho OMM.However, taking your statement, even trivial, that memory modules could be damaged or corrupted(?) what utilities or software can I use to diagnose them?Thanks in advance and best regards.Pedro LimaPortugal

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

Guest Buck Bolduc

>>Gents,>>>>In addition to what Rob mentioned above CHECK the integrity>of>>YOUR MEMORY dims ! There are several utilities for that.>>>I bought my new system 2 weeks ago, and I dont want to believe>that I am getting memory problems already! See, I invested>almost 500 euros only in 2 modules of memory. The system was>tested day and night before I bring it to home. I run other>intense applications like autocad 3D and audesk viz 3D. I'm>doing a part of a city totally in 3D (architecture project)>and the system never complains, neither about the CPU, memory,>or CTD errors. I tested all the latest benchmarks and games to>the limits. Sadly I must say that only with PMDG744 I have tho>OMM.>However, taking your statement, even trivial, that memory>modules could be damaged or corrupted(?) what utilities or>software can I use to diagnose them?>Thanks in advance and best regards.>>Pedro Lima>>Portugal>Pedro, to answer your question. Memtest86 is a free utility thats very good. Google for it.In my 20+ years of buying parts I can tell you I could fill up a dumpster with DOA's (Dead On Arrival) parts.When a highly regarded mobo maker moved to mainland China I recieved a shipment of 25 of their top of the line boards, 11 were DOA. Turned out the new factory's ovens weren't up to snuff, new workers, etc?Yes, they use ovens and low temp solder.