Sign in to follow this  
Guest hellcat29er

737-700 CATIII Autolanding

Guest hellcat29er

Hi All,Last night I was attempting to perform a CATIII autolanding at KEWR, there was a blizzard. Both A/P and APP were engaged, speed was 170kts, Flaps 25, VOR's and NAV radios set. G/S was captured. At appx. 1100ft I lost visual of the runway. This was fine, the plane was continuing on it's descent as it normally would when all of a sudden...At about 700ft, all A/P's automatically disconnected and the A/C pitched up, but I was still going down. I attempted to apply power and get the bird up, but it was too little, too late. I crashed just short of the runway. I know ILS can sometimes be hampered by bad weather, but isn't that what autolandings are for!? I'm trying to figure out what would have been a better course of action. I dunno, everything was fine until those final few moments. Thoughts/Suggestions? Brandon StollKVCV

Guest Ray51

I don't know how to say this without it sounding harsh but you must remember it is the pilots responsibility to fly the aircraft at all times even when on automation. You must be ready to take control and apply needed input to maintain aircraft safety. That being said I have also gotten caught by this and have also crashed so don't feel bad. I was very lucky that flight was off-line so I did not have anyone witness my mistake lol. The second time I had it happen I was able to apply thrust and go missed. I have programed my yoke so that the buttons on the yoke handle allow me to disconeect the A/P and A/T to allow me to take positive control.It sounds like there might have be a command input from your joystick or a duel channel ILS was not engagded.Ray51on the 2L approach for KDPA

do you have active sky? it could have been a wake turbulance effect causing the AP to disconnect.I don't know what your weights were set at, but 170 seems very fast

Brandon,I must concur with one of the other posters. It sounds like wake turbulence to me. That would be the only thing disconnecting the A/P during APP as far as I can recall.Hope it helps,

Guest hlm65

Hi Brandon,it seems to me that you were probably a little fast, you got wake turbulence or maybe the winds were above the maximum autoland limits (certified limits are: headwind 20 kts, tailwind: 10 kts, crosswind: 15 kts) and/or you get an ASV-generated vertical air simulation point very powerful.Regards

Guest lou ross

The perf chart issued by PMDG: 170 kts Vref is for a landing weight of 710,000lbs, MAX landind weight is 630,000. What was your weight?Even so, the AP should not have disconnected for that reason.louross.

Guest GeoffC

That must be a big 737 with those weights!!

That happened to me a few times before. I got caught in a wake turbulence which caused the AP to lose track of the glideslope. As a result the plane pitched up to catch up with the glideslope, but because of the slow speeds on approach the plane stalled and the AP disconnected automatically.I disabled the "increased wake turbulence" effects in Active Sky and it has not happened again so far.Pat