Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Part Two

The Journey Continues!...This is the second thread in the Round the World Challenge series. We start a new thread when the old one gets to fifty posts or so, in order to make the topic easy-to-follow for everyone. To find out how it got started, follow on here:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7103.htmlImmediately following this post, I'll put up a reminder of where the Baton is at the moment.Here is a summary of the rules. If you haven't read them in a while, a refresher is recommended!!! You want to avoid getting Strikes!The Challenge was started by Tornado Wilkes, who is now off on holiday. Here is his original listing of rules and goals.--TonyHave you ever wanted to fly around the world, but never had the time? Here's your opportunity to take part in a team effort.RULESOn 15 July 2002 (UTC), one intrepid volunteer started the RTW challenge departing Heathrow in Real World Weather. For each pilot, its up to them which way they go, however they must complete a flight of between around 1 and 2 1/2 hour duration. As soon as the leg is completed, they must post a message (with 1 screen shot - no more) on this thread and tell us exactly which Airport (inc. ICAO code) they finished at (N.B. each leg must finish on a runway).PICKING UP THE BATONAnyone wishing to take up the next leg, must reply to that "location post" simply stating that they "have the baton" (in disputes it is the first volunteer that posted who is chosen) and the challenge continues. Where a pilot has failed to post his PIREP and screenshot within the 3 hour time period since first accepting the baton, any pilot may lay claim to the baton at the departure airport. The option to take possession of the baton must be exercised before the missing PIREP has been posted, for the claim to be valid. In such circumstances, any subsequent location report posted with regard to the original flight, is deemed null and void. You may not "pick up the baton" in advance.THE THREE STRIKE RULEFail to:A. Deliver a single screen shotB. Go in a sensible direction (as judged by the flaming community although the challenge still continues from where you finished)C. Use real weatherD. Travel a distance that is in keeping with the aircraft chosen and weather (i.e. No cheating the clock/ slewing or playing with the .AIR file)E. Or attempt to steer the flight whilst not in possession of the baton on three occasions in total and you're disqualified for the rest of the event.AIRCRAFTOnly the following aircraft (by any developer) may be used for this challenge:Turboprops (Single or Multi)Props (Single or Multi)HelicoptersBalloons NAVIGATION/ TIME OF DAYUse whatever devices you wish, and at whichever Time of Day you choose FINALLY.......Good luck all, this is our opportunity to prove that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" Tornado Wilkes

The Route-Part Two-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

Heather ran a marathon flight in her DC-10 and has left the baton at LPFL, Flores. It awaits the next pilot, as does the decision on which way to proceed!!--Tony

Guest Edam

I take it that the simulation rate CAN be increased during the flight? The rule about not "cheating the clock" confuses me after that last flight.

Hi Edam.The simulation rate CANNOT be increased during the flight.Update: Having gone back and looked at what Edam was talking about, I see where the confusion comes in. Heather's flight started in the 2 o'clock (EDT) hour, and ended in the 6 o'clock (EDT) hour, yet her reported flight time was 7 hours. Heather, what's the situation with this? If the clock was sped up, we will find ourselves back in the Canary Islands, as a time-sped flight would have to be disqualified. I was at work when the original postings were made, so don't have a real-time sense of when they came up. I only have the timestamps put on messages by the server to go by.--Tony

Guest Edam

That's what I was talking about, and hence my confusion.

Can we have a ruling. Having looked at routes possible from the Azores, there doesn't appear to be any location reachable in under 3 hours.So whadawedo...?Hawkeyez

I say we are back at the Canary Islands. NOT because of the current location's distance from other airports, but because I cannot figure out how Heather could possibly have done a 7 hour flight in 4 hours.She said cruising speed in her DC-10 was 140kts. In four real hours (which is exactly the time difference between her stating she had the baton and her statement of having landed, that means 560 nm (plus a good heafty amount because we assume 140kts is IAS, and TAS is going to be somewhat higher. But it's not the over 1000 nm covered in the actual flight.Given that, I have to say her flight is null and void.If I have missed something here, please let me know.--Tony

Guest emergency_pants

If heather's flight is discounted, I would suggest two options... just suggestions, mind you... Turn South and tour Africa... or double-back on ourselves and head towards Egypt? Or maybe back into Europe? Wow.. decisions, decisions... but, of course.. only for the next baton holder!! ;) :(Si.Edit: Oops that was three options!!

Okay, here we go...LPFL to:Nouakchott (GQNN)Mauritania, AfricaLeaving in a few minutes.Hawkeyez

I'd like to take the baton, but not sure where to start ;-)

Hi Fred!Hawkeyez' post came in 1 minute before yours, so he has the baton. As for "where to start" ... When you DO get the baton, simply load up flight simulator, put yourself at the airport where the baton is stated to be, and take off. Make sure you select a plane that fits the rules, and make sure you load real-world weather (if you use the built-in real weather, make sure you periodically re-run it to get it refreshed as you fly out of range of previous weather reporting stations).Watch for the baton to come free again! Once you grab it, check the thread again to make sure you got it before anyone else, then you're on your way!If you have any questions, feel free to click the "send an email to scabbo" link on one of my posts and send me a note.Good flights to you.--Tony

No Prob, I only asked as the discussion above made it unclear if Heather's flight was legit?I'll wait for Hawkeyez completion then try to get it before anyone else does ;-)Thanks!

Guest captbulldog

I fueled her up, packed lunch and ready to participate. But I want to make sure that she's qualified to go on the race, not sure whether she really be called a "ballon". (I see no ballons in the library, this is the closest thing I can come to :))