Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTH

A few B1900D questions - can anyone help?

Hi everyone, I took the B1900D up for a spin today in a flight from London Stansted (EGSS) to Manchester (EGCC). The flight was successful but I do have a few questions.1) In the compass-type instrument with the heading bug to instruct the A/P where to fly, there is also a moveable green arrow. A little knob to the left of the heading bug knob controls it. Can anyone shed some light as to what it does/how it works?2) In the manual, it says for landing to cross the treshold at 35ft above the runway at VREF. Firstly, the treshold is the part of the runway with the white lines and the number of the runway in big writing (e.g. 24L) right? Secondly, what's VREF? Is this 123kts (the blue line) - the same speed given in the manual for final at full flaps?3) And finally, at 35ft above the treshold at VREF, do I reduce power to throttle idle, pull up the nose and then let the airplane gently come down? Or do I not cut the throttle at all? Is VREF also the speed should I should be actually touching the tarmac at? I'm also wondering how much flare is needed. Presumably I begin to pull back the nose when I'm at 35ft and above the treshold, but how much of a nose-up pitch is recommended?Thanks a lot in advance for all your patience! I am trying to get to grips with the smaller aircraft first before I jump into the flight deck of the 737 and 747! Regards, Greg McGuire.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Hi everyone, I took the B1900D up for a spin today in a>flight from London Stansted (EGSS) to Manchester (EGCC). The>flight was successful but I do have a few questions.>>1) In the compass-type instrument with the heading bug to>instruct the A/P where to fly, there is also a moveable green>arrow. A little knob to the left of the heading bug knob>controls it. Can anyone shed some light as to what it does/how>it works?Don't know>2) In the manual, it says for landing to cross the treshold at>35ft above the runway at VREF. Firstly, the treshold is the>part of the runway with the white lines and the number of the>runway in big writing (e.g. 24L) right? Secondly, what's VREF?>Is this 123kts (the blue line) - the same speed given in the>manual for final at full flaps?Yes. The runway threshold is the edge of the runway - where it begins. Well, actually where the runway end markings/lights begin, sometimes thresholds are displaced and there are pavement extensions beyond the runway end markings.>3) And finally, at 35ft above the treshold at VREF, do I>reduce power to throttle idle, pull up the nose and then let>the airplane gently come down? Or do I not cut the throttle at>all? Is VREF also the speed should I should be actually>touching the tarmac at? I'm also wondering how much flare is>needed. Presumably I begin to pull back the nose when I'm at>35ft and above the treshold, but how much of a nose-up pitch>is recommended?Practice, but yes, generally you should slowly pull the throttle down and begin flaring. VREF speeds are generally caculated to be 1.3 times the clean stall speed, so reducing the throttle and preparing to flare has you losing speed to less than VREF so that you are getting closer to stall as your wheels touch down. While you don't want to stall, this all happens in just a few seconds. When you cross the threshold, look down the runway for visual cues and begin a flare/throttle reduction.>Thanks a lot in advance for all your patience! I am trying to>get to grips with the smaller aircraft first before I jump>into the flight deck of the 737 and 747! Regards, Greg>McGuire.Not a bad approach. How have you done with smaller aircraft like the C172?

Hi, yes I've made myself quite familiar with the C172. Thanks for the replies.Could anyone clear up the first question?Regarding question 2, is VREF 123kts? And finally, regarding question 3, at 35ft above the runway to I immediately throttle down to FULL IDLE? Or do I just turn back some of the power?Thanks once again for any help...

blue line speed is best single engine climb speed (Vyse)Vref is calculated as Vso x 1.3 (Vso = stall speed in landing config)As stall speed goes up with increasing weight and / or a lower flap setting, so will Vref .. Thus, Vref will be weight dependant and as such is not a fixed value ..hope this helps,Jan