Sign in to follow this  
Guest MARTY

Advice required on upgrade

Guest MARTY

Hi, I run PMDG 737NG using the Cabin view only on my PC, without a problem. If I apply VC, I'm in trouble with frame rate. Admittedly, I use quite a few add-ons. My question is 'can I upgrade my computer to get the full benefit out of an aircraft that I thoroughly enjoy flying?' My PC specs are as follows: AMD Sempron2800+, 1GB of RAM, Windows XP, GeForce FX 5700 graphic card. By todays standards, I know this is not that impressive, but buying a new one is not an option. If it helps, my Motherboard is a MSI CorCell KT6DDS. Thanks Marty

Hi Marty.I also enjoy flying all the PMDG add ons that I have, and have been in your situation with updating pc, so I thought I would share my experience with you. Firstly I am not a pc wizard but I am a qualified engineer and updating pc's is within my capabilities. Your specs are similar to what mine were when I decided to upgrade. I bought a better video card,and added more RAM. The results were disappointing, the improvements were marginal. I don't know enough about mother boards to say that my original was probably the component that was "strangling" my system, and I was not prepared to replace the mother board as part of the upgrade. So it was decision time, I decided to sell my updated computer to try and recover the cost, which i did quite successfully through our local paper, and put the money towards a replacement pc which has increased the performance no end. However from your post you are not in a position to replace, so from my experience only....an upgrade to components will improve things marginally, do not expect miracles, as i expect you are not changing the technology of your motherboard, and I expect you may also be disappointed with the results. but that is just my experience, and maybe others will have better news for you.best regardsJohn CallejaBAW352

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest MARTY

Hello John, Thanks for your advice--I suspected as much. Can I ask what your new PC specs are? Thanks again Marty

Hi again MartyThis is what i boughtGenuine Intel Processor 3.6 GHz1Gb Ram now expanded to 2Gb 2 * 250 Gb Sata Hard DrivesDual output Graphics card (Radion x500/x550)seriesdvd writer and a second seperate dvd playerC-media on board sound think its 7.1got it a bit cheaper cos i didnt want the tft screen i wanted to keep my 2 crt'susual other goodies.. lots of software and modem and wireless cardThe actual make is an Advent model T93200 and this is a cut and paste from the handbookedit: woops never could type. the model is Advent T9302CPU Intel Pentium 4 560J Prescott (3.6 Ghz) Motherboard MS 7046 Memory 1024 MB DDR RAM - (2x 512 MB - PC3200) CD Drive Artec DHM-G48 16X DVD-ROM Video Card ATI Radeon x600 Pro PCI Express Sound Card Realtek High Definition Audio (Azalia) if you need any other info just let me knowregardsJohn CallejaBAW352

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest MARTY

Hi John, Thanks for the info. I'm going to sound out my local dealer. Three years ago, my PC was considered to be reasonably fast, now it nearly qualifies for the 'Antiques Show'. Appreciate your help. Marty